CHAPTER 17: She is Learning

Jocelyn was staring after the Shadowhunters.

"Mommy," Niki held onto her mother's hand. "Why did they have tattoos and weapons? And why did Clary call Daddy 'Lucian Greymark' and a werewolf?" Niki tugged on her mother's sweater. "What are Nephlim?"

Jocelyn choked up and Luke suddenly appeared next to their daughter and lifted her. "Your half sister is apart of a gang, the Nephlim. She called me a werewolf probably because I look so hairy." Niki laughed. "See, her gang has special tattoos that they get and they carry weapons."

"Was that tall blond guy her boyfriend?" Niki asked.

Luke laughed. "I guess so."

Jocelyn looked at her daughter and husband and she mouthed a, 'thank you'. to him.

{PAGEBREAKPAGEBREAKPAGEBREAK}

Clary ran away from the building and into a alleyway. She sank down on the wall and sobbed.

She covered her eyes and she just wanted to die. She wanted to leave the Institute and not put herself in other peoples lives. She wanted to shut down.

She felt arms around her and three other figures saying things to her and trying to calm her down.

Clary was shaking like a wet dog. She felt the arms pull her up off the ground and she couldn't feel her legs; her whole body was numb.

"Clary." It was Jace who was holding her. "Clary what happened?"

Clary just held onto Jace, afraid she would fall when she whispered to him, "She asked me to move in with her and-" she choked on a sob. "And I know she knew that Valentine would abondon her. I know why she knew and know so much about me. She spied on us as children."

Jace made her look at him. "How do you know that?"

"Jace," Simon warned.

"No," Jace said. "What do you mean she 'spied' on you?"

Clary shifted. "I saw her but never told anyone besides Simon."

Jace sighed.

Clary looked at him. "Your not telling me something."

He looked at their friends. "Let's go back to the Institute."

Clary noticed her stele was in her hand and she was drawing a rune on Jace's wrist. She didn't even notice.

Jace's eyes turned a glowing white and Clary all the sudden felt darkness around her. The last thing she saw was Simon's screaming face mouthing her name as scenes started to play in front of her.