CHAPTER 29: Demonz Rule

Jace hopped out of the car, blade in hand, and was was immediately infuriated. "WE'RE IN THE MIDDLE OF NO WHERE, MAGNUS!" He spat.

Alec and Isabelle were both just getting out, and Magnus was standing on the roof of the car.

Jace just noticed the "DEMONZ RULE" spray painted on the side.

"This is where the spell says." He said and chucked Clary's iPod to Jace, who caught it with no hesitation. "Trap door?" He sounded like he was loosing hope.

Jace scowled and started searching for something. He tripped and fell into a hole, being swarmed over in blackness. He fumbled for his witch light in his pocket. He held it above him, the light blazing in all directions.

"Guys!" he yelled, looking straight at a metal door.

{PAGEBREAKPAGEBREAKPAGEBREAK}

"I could make a rune," she said to Jonathan. "I can create runes. I could think of one to get us out of here."

Jonathan's heart skipped a beat. "Try it."

He didn't tell Clary, but, he felt different, as if not taking that demon blood helped him. He remembered a story of a boy who was injected with demon blood when he was younger. He became addicted to it and was dying, but he became a Silent Brother.

Since Jonathan had it in his system before he even had a hand, he was immune to it. But, he was still a failed project.

Clary groaned in frusteration, knocking Jonathan out of his stupor. "I can't think straight!"

"Don't stress yourself, little sister."

Clary smiled a bit and looked down. Her eyes were glossy.

Jonathan crawled over to her and lifted her chin. "What is it?"

She shook her head.

"Clary."

She let out a shakey breath. "What if-" her mouth was moving, but no words came out. She made a strange sound in the back of her throat. She cleared it, "What if we never see them again? Izzy and Simon and Alec and Jace? What if they never find us?"

Jonathan touched her cheek, running his finger over her cheekbone. "I'm not going to sugar coat it. I don't know if they will find us. I just want us to die knowing that everything is okay."

Clary searched his eyes, as if she were looking for something. "But everything isn't okay." She said. "I need to tell you that what you walked into the other day was not what you think. Jace and I weren't doing- it, we were just kissing."

"But-"

"Shh," she cut him off. "Not finished." she smirked. "You had every reason to think that because, yes, I was on top of him. Don't worry, Johnny. I wouldn't do anything like sex for a long time. I just- I just love him so much. I think if you knew Jace better you would understand why I love him and I can't really put it in words. He loves me and I love him. And I feel as if its been that way for a billion years, not just two weeks. I can handle myself. I told Jace I don't want to go to far. Not yet."

Jonathan removed his hand from his sister's face. "I know he loves you," he tilted his head, slightly. "That's what scares me. I feel like I've always been your father, Clarissa. Not just your older brother. I want you to be safe and careful and mature. I don't know why I'm so worried," he chuckled. "because you are exactly all of those things. I knew this was going to happen one day. One day you are going to leave and not need your older brother to protect you from demons or our own father. I always knew you could handle yourself. I trust you."

Clary smiled, a sideways smile. "Thank you, Jonathan. But, I will always need you. I need you for every time I mess shit up or just have no one else to go to. I don't want to die. Not yet, anyway."

Jonathan pulled her into an embrace and she sobbed into his shirt. "If we die it will be my fault. I'm sorry, little sister."

As they were sitting silence and Clary was beginning to calm, a loud THUMP came from outside the door.