CHAPTER 16: Our Mothers Give And Take

Alec knocked on his mother's door.

He turned to his sibling. "Never mind. I want to do this myself."

Jace and Isabelle exchanged a look before trotting down the hall.

Maryse opened the door and looked at her son. "Alec?" She asked.

"Mom," he cleared his throat. "Tomorrow, the um, person I have been seeing is going to visit."

"Okay. That's great! I cannot wait to meet-"

"Mom," he cut her off. "My lover, is a male, and he is a warlock. I'm gay." he shook, nervously.

His mother looked at him. She was not ashamed, afraid, or scaulding him mentally. She looked pleased, thankful, and loving. Her eyes softened and a smile formed on her lips. She embraced her son. "Thats-" she sighed. "is magnificent." Her voice was sturdey and grateful.

{PAGEBREAKPAGEBREAKPAGEBREAK}

Clary strapped on her belt, filling it with her seraph blades, stele, and her Morgenstern blade. It was whispy out, so she grabbed a parka and pulled her hair up.

She drew on a soundless rune and a foresight rune and opened the door to see Simon. "What's the address?" he asked.

"409 Brenton Street." Clary said and they ran down the stairs, their boots making no noise.

Isabelle looked up at them as they were zooming down. "Where are you guys going?" Jace and Alec looked at them as well.

"Out." Simon said.

"In gear?" Jace pointed out.

Clary blushed. "We were going to see my mother. She wants to talk to me."

Clary locked eyes with Jace. "You want to?" he asked.

She nodded.

"Mind if we come?" Alec asked.

Simon looked at Clary and tapped the back of her hand: tap, tap, tap, tap- tap tap tap- tap.

You okay with this?

She tapped back once: Sure.

"Okay." Simon said.

* * *

Jace held Clary's hand, rubbing small, smooth circles on the back of it.

She was shaking, besides the fact that it was nice out, for January in New York.

"Clary," he said. "Are you alright?"

She nodded. "Just nervous, I guess."

Alec bardged in on the conversation. "What are going to say to her?"

"Don't know."

"If it makes you feel better," Alec said. "I just told my mom I'm gay and she was okay with it."

Clary smiled. "Really? That's great!" Jace saw she was happy for his friend. "I just don't know my mother. At all."

{PAGEBREAKPAGEBREAKPAGEBREAK}

Clary stood on the front steps of the apartment on 409 Brenton Street.

She knocked.

The door was opened by a tall man with curly brown hair, glasses, and a structured face. "Clarissa?" He asked.

Clary choked on her words. "Yeah. Umm, but people call me Clary."

He smiled at her. "Right," he looked at her companions. "Who are they?"

Clary looked back at her friends and then back at the man. "Who are you?"

"Oh!" He exclaimed. "I'm Luke."

Clary raised an eyebrow.

"Your mother's second husband."

"Don't," Clary exhaled. "call her my mother."

Luke nodded and motioned for them to follow and Clary hesitated at first, and then followed Luke.

The complex consisted of only two floors, one apartment on each. Luke was climbing the stairs to the the second apartment and Clary looked up, seeing a skylight. She followed and looked back at her friends.

They were watching Clary's every move.

Luke opened the door to the apartment and shouted, "Jocelyn! Clarissa is here."

Luke moved into the apartment and Clary decided to follow him and the apartment was bigger than she expected with two bedroom down a hallway and a small kitchen. A living space and another door, probably a bathroom.

Jocelyn walked out of one of the bed rooms, followed by a child, probably eight, that had dark red hair, olive skin, and brown eyes.

"Clarissa." Jocelyn hugged Clary, and Clary stiffened, not hugging back.

Jocelyn straightened herself as the small child stood next to her. "Clarissa, this is Niki," Jocelyn smiled. "Your half sister."

Clary shifted. Jace came up behind her, placing a hand on her hip and pulling her into his side. He whispered to her, "We can leave if you want."

Clary looked at him and whispered back, "I have to do this.

She looked at her mother. "Jocelyn, can we talk privately?"

Jocelyn nodded and pulled Clary into the room they came out of.

"Why did you ask me to come?" Clary asked as the door shut.

"I wanted to ask you to move in with us." Jocelyn said.

"Why should I?" Clary laughed. "You barely know me. I barely know you. You left me with Valentine. I understand you couldn't do anything, but you knew he would abandon you. So why didn't you kill me as an infant? I'd rather be dead! He used to whip me and he didn't care about me. I hate you!"

"But Clarissa-"

"Its Clary! I want to thank you, though. Keeping me alive made me meet my best friend and my family. The Lightwoods. And my boyfriend, Jace Herondale. I haven't even known him a week now, but I am in love with him." Clary felt tears sting her eyes.

"I'm sorry, Clary. I am. Won't you forget all this Shadowhunter stuff and come with us? We are mundanes." Jocelyn straightened up. "I know you love art, like a mundane."

Clary shook. "No. No. No I love being a Nephlim. I never want to hear from you again."

Clary turnt the knob of the door and rushed out, her friends looking at her with shock. "Goodbye, Lucian Greymark." She spun to face him. "I'm not stupid, werewolf." she snarled and began sobbing, running away from the apartment.