CHAPTER 49: Burned

Jonathan stabbed the table in frustration, making a horrible metal-on-metal sound before the blade cut through. His face was fire red- like Clary's hair. He removed the blade, the palm of his hand dripping blood.

He looked at everyone staring at him: Magnus Bane, Ragnor Fell, Jace Herondale, Alec, Isabelle, Max, Maryse, and Robert Lightwood. Simon Lewis.

He growled, sitting on the chair he had thrown across the room when they had told him they were doing a tracking spell on his father. "How could he even be alive?" His voice was scary, angry.

Ragnor and Magnus exchanged a look. Magnus nodded.

Ragnor took a deep breath and lifted his eyes to look at Jonathan. "When you were still just developing inside your mother," he started. "Valentine hired Amber to see if your mother was really pregnant. Like, if you were actually there." Everybody was staring at him with a questioning look. He shrugged. "We all know Valentine was crazy. Anyway, while Jocelyn was sleeping, Amber put a link between you and Valentine. The only reason she did it was because he threatened her to kill her family."

Magnus cleared his throat, taking over the story. "She never told us what that link was. But something you did might have brought him to life."

"I agree with Jonathan, though," Simon jumped in. "They burned Valentine's body. How in the name of the Angel would Valentine be alive after he was burned?"

"Amber's magic is special," Ragnor said. "He could have been reincarnated, but in the same form and body with the same memories and hopes."

Just then, Jonathan threw the chain that was around his neck at Magnus.

"Your father's birth pendant." Magnus smirked.