CHAPTER 21: Promise?

One Week Later~~

It was at least six thirty in the morning.

Clary grabbed the small box she was hiding under her bed, and ran down the stairs. The box was no larger than her palm and was wrapped in a blue silkish wrapping paper.

She stood in front of Jace's door and knocked: knock, knock knock, knock.

The door opened and she was pulled in by the wrist.

Jace grabbed her waist and Clary rested her arms on his bare shoulders.

Jace was bare chested, and his sweat pants hung unusefully on his hips. They were three sizes to big for him.

She kissed him on the lips, smiling. "Happy Birthday." She whispered.

He smirked at her and pulled her closer. "Thank you, beautiful."

She giggled, wrapping her arms fully around his neck and leaned her head into the crook of his neck. He rested his head on her shoulder and they stayed like that for what seemed like forever, but when she looked at his clock on his nightstand, only five minutes passed.

"I got you a present." she said.

"Is it your precense?" he asked. She heard the smirk in his voice. "Because that's all I need."

She laughed softly against his skin and untangled herself from him and handed the box to him. She pushed him onto the bed and she sat cross legged and the end of it, facing him.

"Before you open it," she said. "I just wanted to tell you that you told me I should draw you something some time," she held out her hands, "so there it is."

He smiled and unwrapped the box like it was the most delicate thing in the world.

He opened the box and his eyes sparkled.

"I noticed that chain you were on you neck that has both the Herondale and Lightwood ring on it. So, I made you another one. I've been crafting it for the past two days." She explained.

He held the ring in between his thumb and forefinger.

It was metal, with twisting vines and leaves. On the base of it was a heart the Clary drew, but it was almost a angelic heart. The heart glowed gold when you tilted it the right way, and silver danced around it, continuing the vine-like theme. In the middle of the heart held a cursive J+C.

Jace looked at Clary and smiled, a bright and big and goofy smile.

He unhooked his chain in the back and slid the ring on it, the Herondale ring and her hand made ring, clanking together.

He hugged Clary after putting he chain back on. "Thank you. I really love it."

Clary felt herself blushing.

Jace pulled her down, so that she was laying on his chest. He kissed the top of her head as he started tracing her spine. "I'm a year older than you now. Our love is practically illegal."

Clary scowled. "Not for very much longer, Angel Boy."

He laughed. "When is your birthday anyway?"

She leaned her arms on either side of him, balancing her weight on either one, so she looked at his face instead of his chest (Which, she didn't really mind considering he had a great build).

"June nineteenth." She said.

"I'll save the date." He smiled and Clary laid her head back on his chest.

She listened to his heartbeat as he traced circles on her back.

"Promise me something?" Clary asked, suddenly.

"Hmm?"

"Promise you won't leave me, like everyone else in my life. Even if we aren't boyfriend in girlfriend, just promise me you won't leave." Clary had been wanting to make him promise for days.

"I promise," he said. "And I keep my promises. I also promise for the Lightwoods. We are all your family now, Clary."

Clary smiled and closed her eyes. "Thank you,"