Chapter 2

As we reach the bottom of the stairs, Lawrence steps forward and Daniel shakes his hand. But, Lawrence pulls Daniel into a short embrace, which clearly takes Daniel by surprise.

"Have a wonderful break away, both of you. I will see you when you get back." He looks like he is unsure whether to say anything else for a couple of seconds, but then decides to continue. "I'm a firm believer in true love and to see you two together again makes me immensely happy."

"That is so sweet of you to say. Thank you Lawrence." I kiss him on the cheek.

"Cheers, Lawrence. That means a lot coming from you." Daniel looks a little overwhelmed, but quickly composes himself. "See you on Sunday."

Lawrence nods and returns to the car. As the car begins to roll away, I look up at Daniel. He waves at Lawrence and Lawrence paps the horn in response. In this simple moment, my heart feels as though it could not love him anymore.

"What?" Daniel says with a lopsided grin.

"Nothing. I had just forgotten what a big softie you are. It's been a while." I smile up at him, but I feel it falter when a tinge of sadness hits my heart. Daniel must see the emotion sweep across my face because he pulls me close to him, and kisses the top of my head.

"Hey, don't be sad. We won't be apart like that ever again, I promise." He holds out his little finger and gestures for me to link mine around it.

"Ooh, this must be serious if we are making a pinkie promise." We link fingers, shake on it and grin at each other.

"You know it." He laughs and I playfully push his chest.

Daniel attempts to pick me up to carry me up the steps onto the plane. But, I see him move out of the corner of my eye, and manage to back away just in time.

"No chance." I giggle.

"Spoilsport. Oh, there will be a day in our future where you have no choice but to let me carry you over the threshold." He grasps my hand and begins to climb the stairs. He is seemingly oblivious to the fact that my jaw has just hit the floor. Don't over think it, I tell myself as I walk up the steps next to him. 

"Mr Weston, Ms Cooper. Welcome onboard. I'm Captain Moore, and this is Grace." He gestures towards a beautiful air hostess standing just inside the plane. Her raven hair is pinned up into an elegant knot and she nods towards us both. Her stare rests on Daniel and I see the blush rise on her cheeks as she steps forward. Here we go again; I think to myself and roll my eyes.

"Good evening." Daniel says to them both with a nod as they move out of the way, so that we can step onboard the plane.

"Hello." I say as I follow Daniel's lead. I step into the cabin and I feel a huge grin spread across my face. I had no idea what to expect flying on a private plane, but the only way to describe it is pure luxury. There are six huge, tan leather seats in the middle of the cabin. At the front is an enormous TV screen and a small bar area to the side. The back of the plane has another, smaller TV with a sofa. Then there are a couple of doors, which I presume are to the bathrooms.

We both take our seats next to each other and smile as Grace appears with two glasses of champagne. There is a brief safety talk as the Captain prepares for takeoff, and then Daniel grips my hand tightly as we soar into the night sky.

"Will you tell me now?"

"Tell you what?" He answers, feigning innocence.

"Don't be coy with me. Where are we going?"

"Not a chance."

I sip my champagne and take in my surroundings. This is crazy and exciting, but I don't need it. "You don't need to do all this you know?"