Chapter 57

The door to our bedroom slowly opens as Robin finishes fitting the halter neck satin dress to my body. The ambre colouring darkens from a pale rose to a deep dusky pink when it caresses the floor. My short off the shoulder bob has been loosely pinned up in waves and my make up is kept simple.

Daniel enters the room in a navy three piece suit, crisp white shirt and no tie. His wavy hair is firmly tamed into a side parting with his facial hair trimmed neatly to a short stubble.

When he looks at me I know our smiles mirror each other's expressions. "Wow!" Daniel exclaims. I watch his eyes crinkle at the sides with his dimples exposed in a genuine grin. I wonder when the last time was that he looked at me like this... not a victim... or a burden... or his responsibility, but just his girlfriend? Does he now, or am I just hoping he sees me like he used to?

Robin's quiet voice wrenches me from my thoughts as she gets up from her knees around the base of the dress. "All done!" She sighs while wiping her forehead. "We need to fatten you up a bit, Lizzie. You've lost so much weight since the last time I measured you!"

"That's what attempted murder will do to you!" I chuckle expecting Robin and Daniel to laugh too. Instead, both of their expressions are firstly one of shock and then anguish.

"Lizzie!" Daniel scolds me like a child. "That will never be funny."

I choose not to say anything else as I don't want to upset him with my inappropriate sense of humour. Sarah would have laughed, I think with a pout.

"The car is waiting." Daniel says glancing at his watch.

"Thank you for doing this on such short notice." I turn to face Robin before kissing her cheek.

"Any time. I told you that." Robin grins before beginning to tidy up the array of pins and fabric around her.

"Thanks again, Robin." Daniel says as he holds out his arm for me to take.

I step forward and link my arm with his. I feel the soft material of the dress flow across my body as I walk and watch the way it shimmers with each movement in amazement.

"You look stunning, my darling." Daniel says once we are alone on the stairs before he softly kisses my cheek. "I'm one lucky bastard."

"Thank you." I blush slightly at the way his eyes blatantly roam all over me. "You don't look so bad yourself."

Ben and Rhys are waiting for us when we leave the house. Ben opens the car door and we both greet Lawrence affectionately.

In the back of the car I can see the worry lines etched into Daniel's forehead.

"How has the press statement been received?" I ask pointedly, needing to know what has happened this afternoon while I have been transformed by Robin's team.

"Chris said it's been picked up by most media sources and its gone viral." Daniel shakes his head in disbelief. "Charlie is really playing the victim card with the media today in more interviews." He turns to face me. "You sure you're OK with all this?"

"It was my idea and I know what I have to say. Please don't worry about this. Charlie has proved to me that he's not the man I thought he was, so I have no issue with shutting this down."

I lean over to press my lips against his. Daniel attempts to deepen the kiss as his hands snake up into my hair. I pull away from him reluctantly when I remember the performance I'm about to deliver. "Sorry, just don't want you to mess up my hair." I lie easily. When I look up at him I see my dusky pink lipstick smudged across his lip, so I quickly rub it off as we turn into the venue's driveway.