Chapter 52

The early morning sunshine cascades beautiful strands of light across the white bedroom. With my legs folded underneath me, I hold the laptop across my waist. My concentration on the website I am searching is broken when I hear Daniel sigh in his sleep.

His handsome profile is bathed in sunlight almost making him appear ethereal in the gentle glow. His dark wavy hair is dishevelled against the crisp white pillow. I study the stubble that engulfs his cheeks and jaw with a soft smile. Daniel's plump lips are slightly parted as he continues to sleep peacefully.

Even now after all these weeks since Fay tried to kill me, I still can't rest fully. Despite Daniel being wrapped around me like a shield each night, I still dream of her. The strange thing is I never actually see her in my nightmares. When I used to dream of Ed he was always right in front of me, whereas Fay appears as smoke floating around my ankles, just waiting to strike.

I force myself to focus on the business loans page of the bank website I am currently on. Since the early hours I have sat here in my Winnie the Pooh pyjamas comfortably perched on my burgundy chair and searched for jobs to apply for. But as I watched Daniel lost in a dream and dawn slowly creep into the room, I realised that I did not want to commit to another full time job. Daniel is my priority, and now it is finally time for me to show him. I grin at my little epiphany, and for once I'm not worried about what is to come because as long as we are together, everything will be OK.

Cooper Marketing Limited has quite the ring to it, I decide after mulling over lots of alternative business names. I'm really going to do this... set up my own company! It's the only way I can keep my independence, my sanity and my career... but also prioritise Daniel and his needs.

Unfortunately, with my limited savings, I'm going to need a bank loan. With a deep breath I complete the online form and see how much money I will be able to borrow.

"What are you up to?" Daniel asks making me squeal in surprise.

"I didn't see you there!" I exclaim while holding my heart to calm it's rapid beat. Daniel leans across the chair to see what I'm looking at. He rubs his sleepy eyes and scratches his toned stomach while he reads the contents of the page I am on. His hair flops slightly forward over his forehead in waves. "I'm applying for a business loan." I answer simply, trying not to be distracted by how cute he looks right now.

"So you're really going to do it? I know we talked through the options last night, but you feel ready to take this step?" He kisses the top of my head before taking the seat opposite me wearing only his black boxer shorts. His long legs stretch out in front of him.

"Yeah." I say nervously while biting my lip. "I mean... I think so." The doubt of whether I could make this work creeps in and even I can hear the tremble in my voice.

"Lizzie, this is amazing! I'm so proud of you for making this decision. You will smash it out the park, I know it!" I wish I felt his confidence.

"Well I've spent a few hours looking for jobs, but I thought if I set up on my own I can work my way and make sure I can travel with you." I look up at him, suddenly nervous.

My heart pounds in my chest as I watch his sleepy face transform into his million dollar smile, dimples included. "Really?" He checks before pulling me onto his lap.

The laptop slides onto the chair as I gladly allow him to engulf me in a cuddle. I breathe in his scent as I hold him close. "Really." I respond, mirroring his smile.

We stay holding each other for a while, perfectly still, but I know his mind has wandered somewhere else. I discreetly glance down at him and he bites his thumb nail, lost deep in thought. "What are you thinking?" I ask while leaning back slightly.