Chapter 67

I watch with familiar amusement as the young female nurse fawns over Daniel while he is wheeled back into the room. Her hands visibly tremble as she pushes the bed into the room, which causes me to grin even more. I never thought that other women flirting with my boyfriend would actually make me feel like everything is right with the world.

My hand rests on my stomach softly, just waiting for the right time to share my tiny secret. I feel like I could burst with excitement, but I want to tell him at the perfect moment. So, instead I just sit their smiling like a Cheshire Cat.

The nurse giggles shamelessly while Daniel smiles awkwardly in return. The bed is placed back in its usual position and I watch her exit the room with flamed cheeks.

"What are you smiling about, gorgeous?" He asks, eyeing me curiously.

"How you literally look like shit, and women still cannot control themselves around you!" I softly chuckle before sliding over to the bed. I reach over to kiss him, appreciating how his lips move against mine more than he will ever know. I deepen our kiss a little, just to prolong the sensation which makes my knees buckle.

"Well... what can I say!" He quietly laughs.

"So, how'd the scan go?" My expression and tone suddenly become serious in anticipation.

"All good." He yawns showing his weariness, but flinches at the discomfort the movement causes. "Doc was really pleased with how it's healing. My lung is doing exactly what it should be, so I'm definitely the golden boy!"

A relieved whoosh of breath leaves my body. "That's brilliant."

"Doc said again that I wouldn't be here without you." His azure blue eyes feel like they are penetrating my soul.

"No, you wouldn't." I retort quickly, remembering he's only here because he jumped in front of the bullet which was meant for me.

He reaches for my hand. "Hey... don't do that... you know what I mean! Your quick thinking stopped me from bleeding out." His words are so heartfelt that I just I nod in return, feeling my eyes fill with tears. "Don't cry, baby... I promise you right now, I'm going to be fine!"

You can't promise that, I want to respond. But, I bite my tongue. "I know you are." I smile as wide as I can.

Knock, knock.

"Hey, hey!" Jeremy says while entering the room. He places an enormous box of Daniel's favourite chocolates onto the table.

"Hey, man. Thank you." Daniel responds with a grin.

"How you doing?" Jeremy says emotionally.

Caroline's eyes meet mine as we both roll our eyes at their bromance. Daniel and Jeremy bump fists, completely oblivious to our reaction.

"Good." Daniel says simply.

"Hi." Caroline says hugging me closely. "You gave us quite the scare!" She turns to Daniel before reaching across to press a kiss on his cheek.

Jeremy pulls a chair out for Caroline to sit in. Smiling, she takes a seat.

"Honest mate, I haven't been able to think straight since it happened. I fucking love you man... oh, and you too Lizzie!" He grins towards me before turning back to face Daniel. I chuckle loudly at the fact that I'm blatantly second place to Daniel. "I mean with finding out about the baby, but then you getting shot... it's just been a rollercoaster week." He rambles on.

"What baby?" Daniel says looking bewildered.

"I never got chance to tell him before.... you know." I explain with a grimace. "Daniel, Caroline and Jeremy are having a baby."