Chapter 53

Entering Ben's office as discreetly as I can, I feel like I could totally get a job as a spy. Unfortunately, Ben's face does not look as convinced.

"If you're trying to sneak about, you might want to take your heels off." His tone oozes sarcasm while I attempt to silently close the door behind me. I glare at him in response, and place my forefinger across my lips to try to ensure he stays quiet.

"Thanks for that, Benjamin." I whisper as falsely as I can.

"You're welcome... Elizabeth." He whispers back, using my full name with a smug smirk.

"You're such an arse! Anyway, Daniel is making lunch so thought I would be like a super spy and sneak in here to find out whether you had managed to book the cottage for next week?" I lean flat against the door.

"Well that was an epic fail! I've heard baby elephants tread more quietly than you." He chuckles, so I pull a face at him while bobbing my tongue out. Ben looks back at his computer and brings up the site I showed him with the cottage on. "All sorted. Three nights starting next Friday. Rhys will be heading there over next couple of days to check it out and make sure it's secure. Do you want me to arrange anything else for your anniversary?"

I silently clap my hands together. "No thanks Benjamin!" I turn to open the door softly, but it clicks rather loudly. I roll my eyes as I hear Ben quietly laugh from behind me.

"OK, Elizabeth!" He repeats my full name. "I bet James Bond is shitting himself that you're about to replace him."

I raise my middle finger to Ben as I tiptoe back across the marble hallway back into the living room. I take my seat back in the armchair and try to ignore the ugly painting that glares down at me.

Luckily, Daniel was oblivious and now has his head in a script. His expression is serious as he's lost in whatever is happening on the page in his hand. While I eat my salad I study his face. His lips move quickly as though he is sounding out the lines before him.

While I sit on the opposite side of the living room getting reacquainted with my planned campaign for Banner Hotels, Daniel continues to be enraptured by the script in front of him. Over the last couple of hours I've watched with pride and wonder as a variety of emotions have washed across his handsome face.

A loud smack echos across the room, making me jump and almost sending the laptop crashing to the ground. Luckily, I catch it just in time as I look over in alarm towards Daniel. I see that he has slammed the script down animatedly on the mahogany table.

"That was bloody brilliant!" He practically shouts with excitement. "I want this role." He stands up, marches over to me and places a loud kiss against my lips. I don't even have chance to kiss him back properly through my surprise.

"What's the part?" I ask with a chuckle as I wipe the wet kiss from the side of my mouth.

"You need to read it, but basically it's a tragic love story." He says simply.

"You know my opinion on tragic love stories!" I respond sternly. "I'm still dreading seeing you in the film you recently finished." I remember his account of the film and that his love interest dies in his arms before he has chance to tell her he loves her.

"It has a happy ending... I promise! You need to read it." He swiftly passes me the script. "I'm just going to call Chris, this role is mine."

I clutch the script to my chest as I beam at his excitement. I've never seen Daniel so passionate about his work before. He can barely contain his eagerness as he fidgets from one foot to the other. "I've never seen how you choose a part." I laugh softly.