Chapter 26

The silence is deafening as I tentatively walk over to the love of my life.

"Daniel? Everything OK?" I ask quietly.

"It would kill me to lose you." He whispers, still with his head in his hands.

A flash of anger surges through my veins that someone has the power to make Daniel feel so frightened. In... and... out, I breathe slowly to bring my emotions back in check. I don't want Daniel to misunderstand, and think I'm irritated with him.

I sit down next to him, reaching through his bent arm to take his hand. I intertwine my fingers with his. As he allows his hand to lower, he looks up at me. The azure blue of his eyes glistens with unshed tears, making my heart break a little.

I squeeze his hand tightly, before leaning over and softly placing a kiss on his cheek.

"You are not going to lose me. We are going to figure out who this is, stop them, and then move on with our lives... you know... happiness and rainbows and all that!"

He ignores me, like he is lost in his own thoughts. "I just have this feeling that something bad is going to happen, and I'm going to be too late to save you." His bottom lip trembles slightly.

"Look at me." I say firmly. Finally, Daniel looks at me, and I stare him straight in the eye as I speak. "I do not need saving!"

"Why can't you just let me take care of you?" Daniel says in frustration, releasing my hand.

"This is just someone playing games-" I attempt to explain, but he cuts me off.

"No, it's not!" He screams at me. "Each time something has happened, it is more and more intense." His voices becomes softer as he speaks, but his tone is still clearly irritated. "They want you to react to them. They need you to notice them. Chris said it's all typical stalker behaviour, which is escalating. That means soon it won't be enough for them... soon..." Daniel's voice breaks a little. "Soon, something awful is going to happen. I feel it, here." He thumps his chest right across his heart.

I open my mouth to reassure him, but I'm completely lost for words.

"I just wish I wasn't contractually committed to this film. I just want to take you far away from here for a while, let the professionals do their job. I want us to disappear somewhere hot and peaceful." Daniel begins to pace the room like a caged tiger.

I remain seated, but roll my eyes at the memory of Harrison's offer. The motion is not lost on Daniel. Shit, I scold myself for not keeping my face neutral.

"I can't leave the project where it is, Lizzie. Please understand. We only have around eight to ten weeks left. I wish I could, but it's not fair. I-"

"Daniel." I stop him from talking. "I would never ask you to do that. I don't want you to do that. I rolled my eyes because I've had a similar offer already today?" I finish the sentence with a wince.

"From who?" Daniel stops pacing, his hands firmly placed on his hips waiting impatiently for me to answer him.

"Harrison." I respond quietly.

I take a deep breath, preparing myself for Daniel's reaction.

"Where does he want you to go?" Surprisingly, Daniel just sounds beaten, no trace of anger left in his voice.

"Mexico."

"That might not be a bad idea." He comments calmly.

"What? Are you joking? No way." I shriek.

"Look, the more I think about what has been happening, the more I think this is all because of me. My choices. My career. My fault."

"Let's just say you're right. Me leaving is giving them exactly what they want. Other than your filming schedule, I don't intend to ever be a part from you." My voice sounds as desperate as I feel.