Chapter 31

"You should really eat something." Ben says softly from behind me. I continue to gaze out at the London skyline, lost somewhere between the darkness of the night sky and the blinding neon lights of the city.

He clears his throat loudly. "Ms. Cooper? You haven't eaten all day. Let me order some room service for you."

"So now you're a nutritionalist too! Aren't you a man of many talents!" I snap at him. I then watch in the reflection from the window how he lowers his head, and begins to walk out of the living area of the suite. I immediately feel ashamed of my behaviour towards him.

"Ben, wait." I turn to face him. His broad shoulders turn back to face me. He stands with such authority that there is no doubting his military career. Even though his hair is still cut extremely short and his features remain expressionless, I can see the softness of his eyes as he studies me with caution. "I'm so sorry for how I've behaved today. I'm not usually like this, I swear."

"Don't apologise Ms. Cooper-" He raises both palms towards me in reassurance.

"Lizzie, please. Look, we're apparently going to be spending a lot of time together, so please call me Lizzie." I smile falsely towards him, trying desperately to mask the pain I feel.

He nods in response. "You've had a stressful day, so let me order you something to eat. OK?" He picks up the menu from the coffee table and strides over to me. He basically thrusts the menu into my hand indicating that he's not going to take no for an answer.

I watch as Ben stiffens slightly as he presses his forefinger to his ear piece. "Daniel has arrived at his hotel back in Ireland." He smiles sadly at me. "Now, what would you like me order for you?"

I don't even look at the menu as I'm not hungry. "Club sandwich and a bottle of Pinot Grigio." I say to appease him before passing the menu back to him.

My phone lies lifeless on the table in front of me. No message from Daniel, no missed calls, nothing. I stare at it as though my intense gaze will somehow make it ring.

"Ordered." Ben states simply.

Knock knock knock

"It'll be Caroline." I comment to Ben as he cautiously opens the door. I walk up behind him and lean across to see Caroline looking nervous on the other side of the door. "Ben, this is Caroline."

"Hello." Ben says as he opens the door fully and gestures for her to walk through.

"Hi." Caroline says quickly, blatantly checking him out before rushing to me, and engulfing me in a hug. "Oh Hun, you OK?"

I consider lying to her in the same way that I've been lying to everyone all day. But her eyes appear to be bearing in to my soul. I shake my head forcefully. "No." I whisper.

"What time did he leave?" She asks, scrunching her face a little.

I pull away and sit down in the living area. Caroline follows, removing her coat before sitting opposite me.

"About three... ish, I think." I squeeze my eyes shut and attempt to shake the memory of the look on his face from my mind.

"Have you read his press statement?" She tentatively asks. I watch as her eyes flit to Ben, who shakes his head, silently answering her question. "Hun, I think you need to. Considering the media are going crazy for this whole stalker story, I think he's handled it with such respect for you." She looks back up to Ben for support.

"I've already told her that there will be a new story tomorrow for the leeches to feed on, and all this will just be yesterday's news." Ben speaks confidently, as though he talks from experience.