༻ 7, Benefactress in the night ༺

ROSE'S POV

As time went by, my tears disappeared, but the raindrops was still soaking my face under the hood of my black leather jacket. So many things was swirling in my mind. Memories from the past, feelings from the present, hopes from the future. As I was walking in the rain the memories of the past revived in me again. First, about the events that took place during the interrogation. Later, memories that had happened many years ago... Finally, I recalled my last moments at the police station... Though the shadow of sadness has followed me, my memories about Connor made me smile again. 'Why did he do what he did? And what was the strange feeling I felt?', I asked from myself, but the most important question remained unanswered... 'Did he also feel the same?' I've been walking on the streets of Detroit in the rain for about an hour when I checked my phone screen. 02:36... It was late. It was too late and I started to feel cold, so I decided to go home. After a few minutes I got to the bus stop, but at that moment my stomach started to grumble. 'Great...' Soon, I don't know exactly why, but I glanced at the timetable, then I realized that I have to wait about twenty-five minutes for the next bus.

"Fucking great... Now I can choose between starving to death or freezing to death..." I sighed, then looked around. I saw a convenience store on the other side of the street. Considering how much time I had, I decided to visit the store and buy some food. There was no traffic, so I simply walked through the road, then entered the small building. Not surprisingly, except the store clerk no one was in the store. I was walking slowly between the shelves, listening the news from the radio.

"The first CyberLife zoo in Detroit opened its gates to the first visitors today following a grand inauguration. Hundreds of species, most of them now extinct, have been recreated in more than 100 acres of natural environments using CyberLife's android technology. Guests can now experience polar bears, leopards, elephants and even two blue whales, all designed to appear live and well. CyberLife has announced the opening of eleven new android zoos all over the country where visitors of all ages can admire the wonders of the natural world."

After a while, I checked my phone again, but I still had almost ten minutes. I was placing a bottle of orange juice and a box of cakes into my basket when another buyer entered the store. I didn't see who it was, because I was at the other corner of the store, but after a few moments the clerk spoke up.

"What do you want?" he said in a disgusting voice.

"I'm with a little girl and we have nowhere to go. Could you spare some money so we can get a room for tonight?" the woman answered to him in the most gentle voice, but the man didn't even care about her kindness. The dark side of the world once again showed up for me...

"Shit... A homeless android? Ah, that's the best yet..." he laughed. 'Android?'. As soon as I heard this word I looked out of the shelves, but I only saw the clerk who was standing behind the counter. Based on their conversation, I was sure in one thing. That android was a deviant... "Look, this is a convenience store, not the Salvation Army, okay? You better go if you're not gonna buy anything." he ordered and then sat back down on his chair. 'Typical...', I said to myself as I headed to the freezers. I was taking out a box of deep-frozen food when I heard his voice again a few feet away behind me, but this time he was even more angry than before. "Hey! What the fuck are you doing?" he yelled at the android who seemed to be trying to steal a wire cutter. "Put that back right now!" the clerk said, then android put the wire cutter back and she left the store. Once she crossed the threshold of the store I remembered Todd Williams' report. 'Deviant... AX400... Little girl... Fugitives... ALICE AND KARA!'. The reality hit me in the face. I quickly picked up some other stuff from the shelves, then rushed to the counter to pay. "That'll be $8.99, ma'am." the man informed me, then I quickly gave him a $10 banknote, while I was packing my bought things into my backpack. Well, most of them...

"Thanks. You can stick the change up to your ass..." I replied with a fake smile, driven by anger, ignoring the good manners. Well, this was me... If someone was behaving unfairly with androids, then I copied their behavior against them. Exiting the shop, I instantly started searching for Kara and Alice, but after taking a few steps I heard a familiar voice just a few meters away from me.

"Come on, Alice. We have to find somewhere to spend the night. You're freezing cold." Kara said to the little girl in front of her who was barely older than nine.

"I'm okay. I'm not so cold." the little Alice answered, then the AX400 gently grabbed her hand and they walked away.

"Wait!" I cried out after them. They immediately looked back at me. "Here, I think you need these." I said, then gave them a couple of things, including a wire cutter, a soft plush fox and some clothes in their size.

"Thank you!" the deviant said and accepted my offering.

"So, are you gonna tell me what a deviant is doing in the rain with a little girl?" I remembered every details of Todd Williams' report, but I knew that he was lying. I wanted to know the truth...

"Her father was beating her..." Kara started, holding Alice's hand. A violent father, as I thought. "When I saw what was happening something snapped inside of me. All of sudden, I felt like her life was more important than mine. I had to protect her... So we ran away..."

"I understand... And what are you going to do now?"

"We can't keep hiding like this... Alice needs to feel safe and have a normal life."

"So, if I guess right, then you want go to Canada." Canada... A place where there are no android laws.

"Exactly!" she replied confidently. "We have to get across the Canadian border. No matter what..." seeing the bond between them my heart melted. They loved each other as mother and daughter. 'Why? Why people are not capable to see this?'

"Kara and Alice... Am I right?" I asked her finally, though I was almost certain that they were the ones. Kara looked at me with a surprised look, but then nodded.

"And what is your name?" the little girl asked me kindly.

"Rose..."

"I like your name." Alice said with a smile.

"How did you know who we are?" Kara asked curiously, while she was looking at me with her blue eyes.

"I'm working for the DPD..." I admitted with a deep sigh. "Today... Well, yesterday, Todd Williams visited the police station to report your disappearance. Of course, I didn't believe him. I knew that he wasn't telling the truth..." I added, then Kara responded with a sincere smile. Finally, I handed her my business card that was in the inner pocket of my jacket. "If you need any help at any time, feel free to call me." a few moments later the deviant thanked me for everything I did for them, then with a happy smile on my face I walked back to the bus stop.

"Wait!" Kara cried out after me, so I immediately looked back at them. "Why did you help us?"

"Our blood isn't the same color... But that doesn't matter to me..." I replied with an honest smile, then leaving them behind I disappeared in the heavy rain...