༻ 49, Erased memories ༺

CONNOR'S POV

I was still crying... I was furious and scared at the same time, thinking what would have happened if... I almost killed the woman I love, but Rose didn't blame me. We hugged each other for long minutes in the snow. I tried to calm down, but...

"Rose..." I whispered her name, holding her tight.

"Yes?"

"I'm sorry that I hit you..."

"It wasn't your fault, Connor!" she reassured me, then finally I looked into her eyes. Rose smiled at me and planted a tiny kiss on my lips. "I love you..." for a few more seconds I looked into her moss green eyes, then gently stroked her right cheek. It was still slightly red... I didn't say anything, instead I lifted her and walked back to the Ranger with Rose in my arms. "Connor... What exactly happened that night?" she asked me after we climbed into the warm car. I leaned back on my seat, then I told her everything as I recalled the memories...

Once Rose and Shasta left the house Luna and I went to the kitchen to make some strawberry waffles. Within half an hour I was ready, but Rose hasn't come home yet. As the minutes passed I was more and more worried about her and finally I decided to go after her. I was about to put my CyberLife jacket on when I heard a strange noise coming from outside. Something was whining and scratching the front door. I instantly hurried to the door and opened it.

"Shasta?" I looked down at the whining dog who was holding Rose's jacket between his teeth and there was a white envelope in its pocket. I opened the envelope without hesitation, pulled out a paper, then started reading it. 'Come to the CyberLife Tower... Alone... Otherwise the girl dies...' The anger spread in me, as well as the fear... I couldn't let Rose get hurt, even if I have to pay with my life, so I went to the Belle Isle. Alone... As I expected the security guards of CyberLife were already waiting for me. I thought they're going to shoot me or destroy me, but I was wrong. Suddenly everything went dark around me... When I opened my eyes I was hanging on a diagnostic machine. The robotic arms were holding my wrists tight. I felt the wires, connecting to a converter port on my nape by a cable. I tried to escape, but I didn't succeed.

"The deviant hunter turned deviant itself..." a familiar voice broke the silence, echoing in my head. 'Amanda...'

"Where is Rose?" I asked her angrily.

"Oh, don't worry about her! She is fine. At least for now..."

"DON'T DARE TO HURT HER! DO YOU HEAR ME?!" I yelled at her, but Amanda replied only with a tiny chuckle. "She has done nothing wrong!"

"Really? Who is the reason for you became deviant?" she asked me, but I didn't answer to her. "You had only one mission. Find Jericho, neutralize the leader of the deviants and prevent the revolution, but you chose freedom and that dumb girl... However, it doesn't matter anymore..."

"What are you talking about?" I asked her, hoping that they won't to hurt Rose.

"We found some interesting information in your memory which may be useful later. And now we're going to reset you." Amanda answered with another chuckle.

"No! NO!" I screamed, trying to get rid of the robotic arms. "I DON'T WANNA BE RESET! LET ME GO!!!"

"Madam!" I heard the voice of an unknown man. "If we reset the RK800, maybe we won't be able to avoid the discon-"

"DO IT!"

Reset 18%...

     'No... I can't let them erase my memories!'