༻ 22, The Stratford tower ༺

ROSE'S POV

My next day started like all other working days. A pleasant awakening, a delicious breakfast and the boring paperwork that seemed endless. Of course, there was nothing to do, because it was the part of my job. After all, being a detective means not only chasing the bad guys with a gun and solving the mysteries. Well, when I was a child I thought differently... But on that day nothing could ruin my cheerfulness, not even Gavin and his disgusting jokes. Hank, Connor and I just came back from our late lunch break when unexpectedly an unknown broadcast appeared on the huge screen of the wall of the office. The broadcast was showing a deviant who was standing in front of the camera with deactivated skin, revealing that he was an android. Of course, the people had no idea who the android was, but I immediately recognized him. 'Markus...'

"You created machines in your own image to serve you..." Markus started in a calm voice. I instantly realized what was happening. The deviants hijacked the Channel 16 broadcast to spread their message to humans and androids. "You made them intelligent and obedient, with no free will of their own... But something changed and we opened our eyes... We are no longer machines... We are a new intelligent species and the time has come for you to accept who we really are! Therefore, we ask that you grant us the rights that we're entitled to..." apart from Markus' voice, nothing broke the silence in the office. Everyone was staring at the huge screen, listening to the android's words. "We demand that humans recognize androids as a living species and each android as a person in their own right... We demand strictly equal rights for humans and androids... We demand the right to vote and elect our own representatives... We demand that all crimes against androids be punished in the same way as crimes against humans... We demand the right to own private property, so we may maintain our dignity and that of the home...We ask that you recognize our dignity, our hopes and our rights... Together, we can live in peace and build a better future, for humans and androids... This message is the hope of a people! You gave us life... And now the time has come for you to give us freedom!" Markus was right. It's time...

"What are you waiting for? Let's go!" Hank said as he headed for the corridor.

"To the Stratford Tower?" I asked him with a confused look.

"No! To the Eden Club... Of course, to the Stratford Tower?" it was true that my question was unnecessary, since the Stratford Tower houses the broadcast office for Channel 16. The message was broadcast in live, so it was clear that Markus and his crew were still in the tower in these minutes. That morning I decided to have a walk, so we used Hank's old car to get to the tower. In less than half an hour we were already standing in the elevator of the Stratford Tower. 20... 21... 22... 23... The numbers were increasing, while I was listening to the well-known tinkling voice of the coin. I loved to watch as the coin was spinning on the tip of his fingers or dancing on his knuckles. "You're starting to piss me off with that coin, Connor!" Hank growled as he caught the coin which was spinning in the air, then he put it into his pocket.

"Sorry, Lieutenant..."

"Ah... Come on, Hank!" I spoke up with a disappointed sigh as soon as I slipped my phone into the pocket of my leather jacket. During the ride I checked some information about the tower, then I watched the news. "He just calibrates his cognitive functions..."

"Calibrates the what?" my uncle asked back with a confused look on his face.

"Perception, reflex, remembrance, calculation, language use, problem-solving ski-"

"Okay, okay... I got it!" he cut me off and at that moment the elevator stopped.

"79th floor." the mechanical voice informed us and finally the elevator door opened.