༻ 58, The Kamski Residence ༺

ROSE'S POV

As I promised, on the following afternoon we hopped into the Ranger, then at four o'clock we picked my uncle up in the parking lot. Huge snowflakes were falling from the sky when Hank stepped out of the police station and seconds later he was already sitting on the passenger seat.

"I was hoping that you changed your mind, kid. I was wrong..." my uncle remarked with a fake smile as we left the parking lot.

"Come on, Hank!" I spoke up with a chuckle, admiring the snowfall through the window. I loved the snow, but I didn't really like the frosty days. "Elijah is also a member of my family and he has changed. He visited us before Christmas, explained why he did what he did and apologized to us... By the way, it's only a few hours. We inform him about our engagement, talk a bit, then go home."

"Alright, but if he tries anything, I'm gon-"

"He won't! I promise!" I cut him off, then finally an honest smile appeared on my uncle's face.

"Hey, Connor!"

"Yes, Hank?"

"What about your last name?" Hank asked him. At that moment the traffic light turned red, then as soon as Connor stopped the car we both looked at my uncle. "If you and Rose are getting married, then you will need a last name."

"Actually... I haven't really thought about it." Connor admitted uncertainly as the traffic light turned green.

"Well... You can take the Anderson name or even choose a new last name. You still have time to think about it." My uncle continued, then everything went silent for a few seconds. "And when do you want to get married?"

"At the end of spring, probably in May." I informed him.

"And what about the adoption? When will you visit the orphanage?"

"On the next week." Connor answered with a huge smile. "Firstly, we have to redecorate Rose's studio."

"Great! I hope the little girl will be a Detroit Gears fan..."

"HANK!" Connor and I cried out at the same moment, then we all started laughing. During the ride we continued the cheerful conversation and finally we arrived to Elijah's luxurious villa. We climbed out of the Ranger, then headed for the entrance, while the freshly fallen snow was crunching under our steps. The view of the frozen lake and the snow covered forest was fabulous. Once we reached the entrance I pressed the doorbell, then a few seconds later Chloe opened the front door.

"I'm so glad to see you again! Please, come in!" she greeted us with a smile as we entered the esthetic lobby. "I missed you, Rose!"

"I missed you too, Chloe!" I replied, then for the first time in my life she pulled me into a tight embrace. Chloe was always with me during the two years I spent in the Kamski residence. She was like a sister to me.

"I'm very glad I no longer have to keep in secret that I am a deviant." Chloe added, then she looked at Hank and Connor. "I'll let Elijah know you're here. But please, make yourself comfortable!" and with that she left us alone for a while. Hank and Connor instantly sat down on the armchairs, while I glanced at the white vase. There were some fresh orange roses in it. For a brief moment I remembered the orange roses in front of my sister's gravestone... "Elijah will see you now!" Chloe informed us, then we all followed her.

"What a surprise..." Elijah's joyful voice broke the silence. "Rose, Connor, Lieutenant Anderson... To what do I owe the honor of your visit?"