༻ 14, The nest ༺

3rd PERSON'S POV

About half an hour later the lieutenant parked his car in front of a huge apartment house. Stepping out of the vehicle, the trio immediately headed straight to the building which seemed as dangerous from the inside as from the outside. After they entered the old elevator Hank pressed a dirty button, then about half minutes later finally they reached to the desired floor. The corridor was completely abandoned, but also ramshackle and dark. Hank was the first one who stepped out of the jarring elevator and Rose hastily followed his uncle, but Connor didn't move. What's more, his eyes were closed, while his LED was glowing in amber color.

"Hey, Connor!" Hank's voice echoed in the corridor. The android instantly opened his brown eyes, then glanced at the lieutenant. "You ran outta batteries or what?"

"I'm sorry. I was making a report to CyberLife." he informed his partner, but even after seconds he was still standing in the elevator. Neither Hank nor Rose understood the situation.

"Well, do you plan on staying in the elevator?"

"No! I'm coming." he replied confidently, then he also entered the corridor.

"What do we know about this guy?" the voice of the only female member of the team finally broke the silence. She was already in the end of the corridor, since the front door of the apartment belonging to the report was located there.

"Not much. Just that a neighbor reported that he heard strange noises coming from this floor. Nobody's supposed to be living here, but the neighbor said he saw a man hiding a LED under his cap."

"Oh, Christ..." Hank murmured. His voice was filled with tiredness. "If we have to investigate every time someone hears a strange noise, we're gonna need more cops." he added, then leaned against the wall and crossed his arms over his chest. He seemed not interested in the investigation. This fact was a little sad for Rose, since she clearly remembered how determined and enthusiastic his uncle used to be. This spark started to extinguish. Though the girl knew exactly the reason, she couldn't do anything about it. "Hey, were you really makin' a report back there in the elevator? Just by closing your eyes?"

"Correct."

"Shit..." Hank muttered. "Wish I could do that." then Connor knocked on the door.

"Anybody home?" there was no response. "Open up! Detroit Police!" as soon as the android went silent they heard a strange noise coming from the other side of the door. All of them were certain sure that someone is inside. The only question was that who.

"Stay behind me!" Hank instructed to his partners, then grabbed his gun.

"Err, I was about to kick in the door..." Rose said with a disappointed sigh, but she followed the lieutenant's instruction. Hank kicked in the decaying and rotting door, then cautiously entered the apartment. The others followed him without a word. The rooms were dominated by silence and darkness. Moldy furniture, dirty walls, broken windows...

"Jesus, this place stinks..." the lieutenant said, as if it hadn't been quite obvious anyway. One of the doors in the hall was also closed, which Hank kicked in without hesitation, but he immediately regretted his decision when at least twenty pigeons flew out and inside the stinky room there were even more of them. "WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS?!"

"Rock pigeons..." Rose informed him, who had already noticed some bird feathers back there on the corridor. After the girl stopped laughing at her uncle's funny reaction she began to investigate. Of course, it wasn't easy, because there were at least a hundred pigeons in the different parts of the apartment, especially in the bedroom and the living room. The whole place was like a huge nest.