༻ 25, The guardian ༺

CONNOR'S POV

Less than half an hour passed when I parked Rose's car in front of Lieutenant Anderson's house on the peaceful Michigan Drive. I was about to get out of the vehicle when unexpectedly the lieutenant stepped out of his home with a half-eaten burger in his hand, then as soon as he locked the front door he came to the Ranger and opened the door of the passenger seat.

"Ah, shit... I was happy as hell that the weekend had finally arrived, and now the new case totally fucked up my day..." he murmured after he took a seat.

Sync in progress... Sync done... Collecting data... Processing data; Hamburger – 1690kCal, lipids 35g, carbohydrates 54g, water 52%, salt 2.2g.

"Your meal contains 1.4 times the recommended daily intake of calories and twice the cholesterol level. You shouldn't eat that, Lieutenant..." I informed him, but he seemed not really care about his health.

"Everybody's gotta die of something..." the lieutenant replied with a fake smile. "So? What happened this time?" he asked, while we were heading for the West Forest Avenue.

"I just got a report 68 minutes ago. A woman called the Detroit Police after she heard gunshots coming from the neighboring house. And she also said that the Walker family owns a housekeeper android, so the report was assigned to the deviant cases." I informed him about the details. The lieutenant didn't answer, instead he continued eating. Soon we arrived at the crime scene where by then another patrol car also was parking, and not far from the entrance of the elegant family house we noticed two familiar faces to whom we joined.

"Hey, Hank!" the older police officer said. "You came just in time."

"Hey, Ben, Chris!" Lieutenant Anderson greeted them.

"Hello, Connor!" finally Chris also spoke up with an honest smile on his face. "How's Rose?"

"Fortunately, she feels better day by day." I answered, returning his smile. "Although sometimes she needs painkillers and she can use her left arm only for a limited time, but apart from these facts, everything is fine."

"I'm glad to hear that! Give her my greetings!" Chris added.

"So, what do we got here?" Lieutenant Anderson asked the others, then we all entered the huge living room where two dead bodies were lying on the black marble floor.

"We had a call around nine from an old woman." Officer Collins started the briefing. "She said that she heard four gunshots, while she was feeding her dog in the yard. A three-person family lived here and they had a housekeeper android as well. We instantly found the parents' dead bodies, but their daughter and the android have no trace yet..." he informed us, while I was looking at a photo on the living room wall. It was depicting a happy family...

Sync in progress... Sync done... Collecting data... Processing data; Lucas Walker (Born 06/15/1998), Sarah Walker (Born 12/29/2002), Victoria Walker (Born 11/01/2032).

For a while I was still looking at the happy faces on the photo, then as I glanced at the dining table I found a drawing made with a crayon. Probably the little girl made it. I took the slightly creased paper in my hand, then I looked at the people on it. The drawing was depicting the family members and their android, but there was something that couldn't avoid my attention. Everyone's face was sad and sorrowful, while the father's face was annoyed and angry...

"Anything else that might be useful for the investigation?" the lieutenant asked.

"Mr Walker has been in jail before for drug distribution." Officer Miller answered, gesturing toward the small plastic bags on the dining table which were filled with red ice. "We only looked around in the living room and kitchen yet, but we already found about six kilograms of red ice..."