༻ 32, Elijah Kamski ༺

CONNOR'S POV

When I opened my eyes I found myself in the Zen Garden. The rays of the setting sun wrapped the landscape into a golden veil. The peaceful silence was broken only by the cheerful chirping of the crickets, the echoes of the croaking of the tree frogs and the gentle singing of some wild birds. I was walking on grassy lakeshore when I noticed something along the path. I didn't know what it was, so I stepped closer to it. It looked like a rock made of futuristic elements, and there was a biometric palm scanner on it. As I kneeled down it began glowing in crystal blue color. I deactivated my skin and carefully placed my hand on the scanner, then I tried to connect to it, but then suddenly I felt something. I didn't know exactly what... 'What's this? And why is this here?'. Shortly afterwards, I was admiring the blooming trees on the lakeshore as I was crossing the bridge, then once I reached the island I glanced at the blood red roses. They were all beautiful, fragrant and healthful. Except one... One of the roses was dying... Its color was fading away and its petals were completely dry. The sight made me sad... 'Why did it have to die while I was away? Maybe because it was more beautiful than the other roses? Maybe because its scent was sweeter? Or maybe because...

"Because she is my rose..." I whispered to myself. As I gently touched the withering rose it came to life. She was the most beautiful... She was the most fragrant... She was my rose...

"Hello, Connor!" from my deep thoughts Amanda's friendly voice pulled me back into reality. Once I looked in the direction of the voice I saw Amanda who was sitting in a boat, waiting for me. "I thought you might enjoy a little cruise..." I didn't answer. I got into the boat without a word, pushed it away from the marble island, then I started to paddle. "I love this place... Everything is so calm and peaceful... Far from the noise of the world..." Amanda said, admiring the beauty of the landscape with a parasol in her hand, then finally she looked at me. "Tell me, what have you discovered?"

"I found two deviants at the Eden Club. I hoped to learn something, but... They managed to escape..." I admitted as soon as I let go of the paddles.

"That's too bad... You seemed so close to stopping them." Amanda stated in a calm voice. Meanwhile, I was avoiding the eye contact with her. "You had your gun trained on those deviants at the Eden Club. Why didn't you shoot?" she asked me. I didn't know what to say, since I didn't know the answer myself. For the first time in my life I decided to lie to her...

"They were out of range. If I had the opportunity to stop them, why wouldn't I?" I asked back confidently, hoping that Amanda believed me, but I saw on her face that she was doubting me and there was some anger in her dark eyes.

"You tell me..." she replied in a neutral tone. I didn't answer. Instead, I grabbed the paddles again. "What else?"

"I discovered that the deviants' hiding place might be called Jericho. But I've learned nothing else since then." I didn't want to mention what happened in the Stratford Tower or what happened to Victoria and Benjamin. 'Why am I lying to her?'

"I'm disappointed..." Amanda stated with a deep sigh at the end. "And what about Detective Anderson?"

"Rose continues to be determined to solve this case. And thanks to her I have Lieutenant Anderson's trust." as the words left my lips Amanda's expression became unfriendly and annoyed.

"You already call her by her first name... Nothing matters more than your investigation!" she reminded me, almost yelling. "What's happening is too important! Don't let Anderson get in your way! Otherwise we will have to get rid of her..." suddenly the fear and the anger spread in me. I was afraid that Rose's life might be in danger and I was angry that Amanda might want to hurt her... 'I won't let anyone hurt her... I'll protect her, whatever it takes...'