༻ 8, The thorns of the wild rose ༺

CONNOR'S POV

I opened my eyes... I found myself in the Zen Garden. Although, it was no more than a virtual location, it seemed so real. When I mentally entered the garden it was like I was far from the noise of the city of Detroit, but every little detail of this wonderful and beautiful place existed only in my mind. It was just a graphical interface that I could use to contact CyberLife, nothing more... The place was so peaceful. The harmonious silence was broken only by the melodious chirping of the crickets, the echoes of the croaking of the tree frogs and the gentle singing of some wild birds. In the middle of the garden there was a beautiful lake. It was filled with many koi fish and on its surface countless water lilies blossomed among the green leaves. On the grassy lakeshore there was a few sandy paths under the cherry trees and the huge red maple trees and its fallen leaves was dancing with the warm autumn breeze. In the middle of the lake there was a tiny island. Its floor was covered with snow white marble and there were some futuristic bridges between the island and the shore. In the middle of the island there was a tall white abstract gazebo as well, and its lower part was covered with hundreds of red roses. As I was walking closer to one of the rose trellis I noticed someone who was already waiting for me. A woman. She was admiring the beautiful flowers through her deep brown eyes. It seemed that she didn't notice my arrival.

"Hello, Amanda!" I greeted her, then she instantly glanced at me with a friendly smile on her face.

"Connor... It's good to see you!" Amanda replied, then turned back to the flowers. "Congratulations, Connor! Finding that deviant was far from easy... But the way you interrogated it was very clever and you showed great skill in your investigation. You've been remarkably efficient!" she said, cutting three more roses off.

"Thank you, Amanda!"

"We've asked the DPD to transfer it to us for further study. It may teach us something about what happened." she informed me, then began watering the roses. "The interrogation seemed... Challenging... What did you think of the deviant?" Amanda asked me, but she didn't even look at me.

"It showed signs of PTSD after being abused by its owner as if its original program had been completly replaced by new instructions." I answered. I had to find out what deviancy is and what causing it. That was my only and principal mission. I had to accomplish it, whatever it takes. Meanwhile, Amanda was spraying fresh water on the roses, then she put down the watering can and turned back to me again.

"This Detective Anderson has been officially assigned to the deviancy cases. The people consider her the best investigator in Detroit. What do you make of her?" of course, I replied honestly.

"I think Miss Anderson is extremely intelligent, very kind, resourceful and she seems to has high level of sympathy for androids. However, I certain that she is determined to resolve this case." while I was talking about Rose I remembered the last moment when I saw her. For a few seconds I deepened in my thoughts, then suddenly I noticed that unexpectedly a new rosebud was blooming on the trellis. It seemed that Amanda had noticed it too... She stepped closer to the freshly bloomed thorny flower, carefully cut it off, then she inhaled its pleasant scent as she was walking closer me.

"A beautiful wild rose that her thorns make dangerous..." Amanda whispered, but I wasn't sure that she was talking about flower in her hands or... "The roses symbolize so much thing... Beauty, life, blood, rebirth... Love..." she started, handing me the rose which was undeniably more beautiful than the others. I gently held it in my hand as if it was so fragile as the glass, but then Amanda unexpectedly placed her fingers around my hands and then, with an agonizing slowness, she started to squeeze it. It seemed as if she wanted me to crush the innocent rose. I didn't want to do this... But I was just a machine... I had to obey... "If you get too close to a rose, two things can happen..." 'What does she mean by that? Why is she doing this?' "You will be damaged by the thorns of the rose... Or you will be strong enough to crush the rose with its thorns..." I felt as the stem of the flower crushed several times in my hand. My LED instantly went red for a brief moment. "Don't let her close to you, otherwise something regrettable thing is going to happen." she warned me, then her expression became more serious than before. "More and more androids show signs of deviancy. There are millions in circulation. If they become unstable, the consequences will be disastrous. You are the most advanced prototype CyberLife has ever created. If anyone can figure out what's happening, it's you."

"You can count on me, Amanda..." I replied confidently.

"Hurry, Connor! There's little time..." she ordered in the most emotionless tone, then walked away, leaving me alone with my thoughts... I glanced at the flower in my hand and then at my palm. The thorns made my palm wounded, but I didn't care, because I didn't feel any pain. But I was very sorry for the rose... Fortunately, its head was unharmed and intact, so it wasn't fully damaged. It was true, the thorns were no longer there to protect it, but that didn't hurt its beauty... I carefully removed the flower head from its stem, walked to the shore of the marble island, kneeled down, then I gently put the rose on the surface of the water. It was free, dancing with the autumn breeze...