༻ 23, Recovery ༺

ROSE'S POV

The darkness that was always following me as a shadow. Finally, I became its prisoner. There was nothing around me. Neither space nor time... However, there was something that crossed over timeless and spaceless reality. A tiny spark that dispersed the darkness. An echo... 'I love you, Rose...'. Then I opened my eyes... In the first moments everything was blurry and silent. I only felt a sweet scent, then finally my vision and my hearing began to become clear.

"A group of androids infiltrated the Stratford Tower and hacked into the broadcasting system of local news network Channel 16..." I heard a female voice through an LCD television which was on the white wall. "An android without its skin listed a series of requests and demanded equal rights for androids. The operation was covert and resulted in no casualties. If this message is verified and the authors really are androids, that would have serious repercussions for national security... Claims for equal rights seem to be at the core of the android's message. Is this an isolated accident or a sign that technology has become a threat to all of us? After what happened yesterday, can we still trust our machines?" 'Yesterday? But...'. Before I could get deeper into my thoughts an unknown woman entered the room.

"Miss Anderson... I'm glad you're finally awake!" the young nurse smiled at me.

"Whe... Where am I? What day is today and... And what happened?" I asked her in a husky voice. I was weak and dizzy.

"You are in the Henry Ford Hospital. It's October 19th, almost seven o'clock in the evening. The bullet was successfully removed and there were no complications. It hit the artery under your left collarbone. You were lucky!" the nurse informed me, using a syringe to give me some painkiller. At that moment I realized that I was sleeping for more than one day. "From tomorrow you can have visitors." she added, then gestured toward the nightstand. "And about two hours ago, the doctor allowed to your partners to visit you for a few minutes. They brought all of these... But now rest, please!" the nurse advised, then left the room. Once she closed the door I glanced at the nightstand. There was a blue envelope, an e-magazine and a silver butterfly on it, but in the first seconds I only cared about the blooming magnolia tree twig which was in a small vase. I knew instantly who brought the honey scented plant, so my lips curled into a happy smile. After that, I picked up the envelope. As soon as I opened I found a white paper with kind messages written on it.

"Get well soon! - Captain Fowler"

"Congrats for your first gunshot wound! : ) I'm glad that you are okay! Get well soon! - xoxo, Chris"

"Get well soon, Rose, we miss you! I hope you like the butterfly... : ) - Tina Chen"

"Get well soon! Wish you a quick recovery! - Ben C."

"If I wish you to get well soon, then I think it wouldn't be soon enough. That's why I'm praying for you to get well now! - M. Wilson"

"When you leave the hospital you're my guest for a drink. P.S.: My offer is not valid for Hank... - Jimmy"

"You are really lucky, kid! - Hank"

I had a huge smile on my face as I was reading the short messages, then I placed the envelope on the nightstand and glanced at the magnolia tree again. Inhaling its sweet cinnamon scent, suddenly my last memories of the previous day revived in me. 'I love you, Rose...'. Connor's words were echoing in my mind. I missed him so much... I wanted to see him, but before I could recall some other memories, I fell asleep...

As time went on, fatigue and pain began to fade away. I didn't know how much time I spent in the dreamworld this time, but when I opened my eyes I met with a pair of familiar blue eyes, accompanied by a joyful smile.