༻ 36, Calm before the storm ༺

ROSE'S POV

I was already only a few miles away from Jericho, while I was listening to the latest news on the radio.

"With all androids being turned over to the authorities, the country is grinding to a halt. Hospitals and schools are closing. Water cuts, blackouts and network failures are expected..." I let out a deep sigh as I turned off the radio. I was wondering where I'll be a minute, an hour or a day later. I remembered my mother... For a few long seconds I still hesitated, but finally I picked up my phone. I called my mother, put the phone on the dashboard, then I was waiting patiently for her answer.

"Hi, this is Mary Anderson. I'm afraid I'm not available at the moment. Please, leave a message after the tone!" and with that my mother's pre-recorded words were followed by a loud beep.

"Hey, Mom..." I started uncertainly, squeezing the steering wheel even more strongly. "Umm... I hope that you are fine and everything is okay in New York... I'm pretty sure that you already know what is happening now in Detroit, since you always listen to the news while you are cooking dinner... I miss your delicious fried salmon that you always serve with asparagus and lemon and... I miss you too..." I added with a fake chuckle at the end as the bitter tears were flowing down my cheeks. I took a deep breath, then I continued. "Mom... Maybe I won't be there with you at Christmas... And to celebrate your forty-sixth birthday, because... I may die tonight... I just wanted you to know that I love you... Goodbye, Mom..." I ended the call.

A few minutes later I finally arrived at the Ferndale station. I parked the Ranger, picked up my phone, then climbed out of the car. Huge snowflakes were falling from the sky and the freshly fallen snow was crunching under my steps as I was walking in the dark night. I haven't seen anyone on the streets, since there was a curfew and civilians weren't allowed out unless absolutely necessary. Of course, there were people who had already left Detroit a few days ago... I was walking in the poorest neighborhood of the city and soon at the end of the narrow street I saw the huge rusty ship. Within fifteen minutes I lost twice in the dim corridors, so finally I found myself at the captain's cabin. Fortunately, Markus was there too. He was staring at the snowfall through the windows, leaning on one of the panels full of buttons and screens.

"Hello, Captain!" I greeted him in a joking tone.

"Hey, Rose!" he returned my smile as he turned around. "How long have you been here?"

"Theoretically, I arrived just a few seconds ago. But the truth is that I was roaming inside the ship for about fifteen minutes." I replied with a chuckle as I sat down on a chair right in front of the steering wheel of the boat, then I looked back at Markus.

"I thought you remembered the route. Left, right, left, left, right, down, left, down, right, right, down..."

"Yeah, I followed the route, but on the second floor the rusty stairs came down as soon as I stepped onto it." I replied, then a sorrowful sigh escaped from my mouth. "Markus, I have to ask you a huge favor..."

"Well... As you humans say, I'm all ears." for a brief moment everything went silent, then I explained the situation.

"There's something I didn't tell you before... You know about the deviant hunter, right?"

"Of course." he answered calmly, then crossed his arms over his chest, leaning against the wall of the cabin. "However, I'm not sure that he's fully on the humans' side. Why do you ask?"

"And do you remember Connor?" I continued.

"Yes. Your boyfriend you mentioned at the St Clair Cafe."