༻ 50, The magic of the mistletoe ༺

ROSE'S POV

The following days were extremely peaceful and nothing unexpected happened. A few days ago we visited Hank and we told him that the homicide on the rural mansion was only a trap which was a part of CyberLife's plan, so the case was officially closed... Today was a special day... December 23rd...

"Luna! Bring it back!" I cried out with a laugh, while I was chasing the playful puppy in the living room. "No! Give it back! Hey!"

"What happened, Rose?" Connor asked me with a smile, then put the boxes down next to the fireplace. Most of them were filled with Christmas ornaments.

"Luna stole a garland." I explained, trying to catch up with her.

"Luna! Bring it back!" Connor stated, smiling at the puppy. Luna instantly obeyed him and put the garland down in the middle of the rug, wagging her tail.

"Hey! Seriously? Ah, whatever... Let's decorate the tree!" I advised, then we began decorating the pine tree with light garlands and fragile ornaments. The boxes were full of blue and silver colored ornaments, however some of the unique pieces were keeping memories too. "I got this one from Captain Fowler..." I said as I pulled out a grey orb ornament from the box. "In that year when Cole, Lily and Eric died I didn't want to celebrate Christmas, so I decided to spend the holiday in the office."

"What is written on it?"

"Lord, I ask for courage to face and conquer my own fears and take me where others will not go... I ask strength of body to protect others and strength of spirit to lead others..." I quoted, then hung it up on the tree.

"What about this one?" I looked at Connor who was holding two turquoise colored pine-cones in his hand.

"Oh, those were made by Cole. Hank said that even Sumo's ears were blue too when he painted those pine-cones..." I replied with a chuckle, then picked up a glittering snowflake from another box. "And this one was made by Lily. She was a jewelry designer, so whatever she made, it always was sparkling. And I know every piece of her creations..."

"And what about this snowy owl? It's beautiful!"

"Mom bought it in New York at the Christmas Market a few years ago... And this fluffy reindeer... Umm... I don't even remember this one..."

"Considering your joyful behavior, I think Christmas is your favorite holiday. Am I right?" Connor asked me curiously.

"Yeah! It's so... Magical..." I explained with a sincere smile. After that, I placed pine garlands and shining silver bells on the top of the fireplace, while Connor was decorating the wrought iron railing of the stairs. As soon as we finished the decoration we went to the kitchen to continue the Christmas preparations.

"What would you like to bake?"

"At first I wanted to bake gingerbread, but finally I decided to bake some apricot bow tie cookies. That's Hank's favorite..." I answered. "Let's see what we need. Flour, sugar, egg, butter, cream cheese and apricot jam..." I said, then Connor handed me the ingredients and finally we started baking. A short time later the delicious apricot cookies were done, but the day was still far from the end. Minutes later I was already sitting on the fluffy rug in front of the fireplace, wrapping the Christmas gifts. Meanwhile, Connor was packing into the suitcase. "Do you think Hank will love his gift?" I asked him as I carefully placed my uncle's gift into an envelope.

"I hope so! Especially because it was not easy to get." Connor answered honestly as I painted beautiful pictures onto the postcards. On Scarlet's postcard was a deer, while on Cassie's postcard the Alaskan mountains and the northern lights.

"I don't know what should I paint onto Elijah's postcard..." I sighed, staring at the white postcard. "Do you have any idea?"

"Is there anything he loves?"

"Yeah! He loves himself..." I joked, then suddenly a great idea came to my mind, making me smile. 'Elijah and Chloe...' Within a few minutes the beautiful watercolor postcards were done, then I placed them into the envelopes and picked up my mother's gift.

"Luna! No!" Connor's voice broke the silence as he lifted the husky puppy from the suitcase. This time Luna didn't care about the orders, so she instantly jumped back into the suitcase. "I said no! Sit!" the adorable situation made me laugh. In the following minutes I was still watching them with a huge smile, then finally I wrapped my mother's gift. "You won't mind if I take the dogs for a short walk?"

"Good idea!" I replied, smiling at him. 'This will be the perfect time to wrap Connor's gift...' "But be careful!"

"Don't worry! We'll be at home in ten minutes." he informed me as he put the leashes on the dogs, then finally they left the house. As soon as Connor closed the front door I ran upstairs to the bedroom. I removed Connor's gift from my secret safe and hurried back to the living room to wrap it. Actually, I had two gifts for him, but the smaller one was in a blue velvet pouch. 'I can't wait to see his face when he opens this box...' "Rose! We're home!" a familiar voice cried out once the front door opened. I put down his gift onto the other wrapped boxes, stood up from the rug, then walked to the hallway and joined Connor who was holding a mistletoe in his hand.

"Where did you get this?"

"I found it in the park... As I know, the mistletoe is also a Christmas decoration, just like the holly and the pine-cone, so I brought it home."

"You're right!" I answered with a smile, then glanced back at the mistletoe. "There is an old legend and it says that the mistletoe has a special power."

"Really?!" Connor asked without hesitation. His gaze was full of curiosity.

"Mhm... According to the legend, if two people kiss each other under the mistletoe, their love will last forever, whatever happens."

"Forever?"

"Forever..." I repeated with a chuckle, admiring Connor's angelic face as he was staring at the mistletoe. "I think it's time to take a hot bath. I'll be upstairs if you need me." I informed him, walking up on the stairs, but he wasn't pay attention to me. At that moment he cared about only one thing. The mistletoe... "Aaah, yes..." I whispered to myself as I submerged in the jasmine flower scented water and closed my eyes. There was silence around me. The only thing I heard was the beating of my heart. For a few minutes I completely forgot about the outside world, but then suddenly...

"Alarm deactivated. Welcome home, Connor!" 'Eh?'

"Connor! Is everything alright down there?" I cried out from the bathroom, through the slightly opened door. "Connor~"

"Yes!" he answered firmly as the little Luna joined me in the bathroom, then laid down on the carpet. I quickly stroked her, then leaned back in the tub to continue the relaxation. About twenty minutes later I decided that the time has come to sleep. I climbed out of the tub, dried my body and put my satin night dress on, but as soon as I stepped out of the bathroom I was greeted by an unexpected view.

"Oh, my... Connor!" I cried out his name with a huge smile on my face as I walked down on the stairs. 'I can't believe it...' "Connor~"

"Yes, Rose?" he looked at me innocently after he stood up from the couch.

"You hung mistletoes up all over the house?" I asked him, but before he could answer I pulled him into an embrace. "You're so cute... Seriously..."

"Do you like it?"

"Do I like it? Connor, I love it!" I admitted honestly, looking up into his chocolate brown eyes. The pure love was shining in them. "I love you..."

"I love you too, Rose..." he whispered with a smile on his face and finally kissed me...