Chapter 13

I was in the locker room with the rest of the girls, finishing up my makeup. We all had our cheer uniforms on and our hair was styled to perfection. Or at least that's what Tiffany said. Honestly the body glitter was itchy, the high pony tails were giving me a head ache, and the cheer uniforms were shorter (if possible) but at least I'd made it to Homecoming.

The game had already begun and half time was nearing which meant it was almost time for our performance. To say I was nervous was the understatement of the year. Of course I was nervous, but not because I didn't want to make a fool out of myself in front of the whole school, not to mention Jacob's school. I was scared because if I blew our covers the blame would undeniably go to me.

I'd been practicing all week and I think I'm finally ready. That still doesn't make me feel any less nervous. Professionals screw up all the time, what's to stop me from screwing up right now?

"Oh no, you're getting that look again," Palma groaned.

"What look?" I asked her confused.

"That face you make when you're over thinking something," Blaire filled me in.

"I do not make a face!" I defended myself.

"You do too!" Tiffany yelled from accross the locker room. I rolled my eyes and finished lacing up my white converse.

"But seriously Charlee, you'll be fine. We've all practiced the routine to perfection," Palma reassured me and I nodded my head along absentmindedly. Honestly that wasn't the only thing that was making me nervous.

I haven't talked to Eric at all this week since he picked me up from Jacob's house. He's been avoiding me like the plague and he can't blame it on practice this time because I know for a fact he went to Rebecca Davidson's party. Did that mean they were going out again because I did see them talking at lunch the other day.

Wow I sound clingy. Maybe I do over think things too much?

That leads to my other problem, Jacob Callahan. He did in fact keep in touch with me, much to my surprise. He was pretty nice, I mean other than the fact that he didn't throw me out of his house and call the police on my ass after that 'incident'. He's been pretty nice and all. I can't think of something that his dad could possibly do to make us have him under our watch but people can be decieving so I have to keep my guard up.

"We're out in five!" Brooke reminded us. I checked my face in the mirror to make sure that nothing had smeared. I could hear the happy chatter of the rest of the girls getting ready for tonight. They were so calm and excited to get out there while I was an emotional wreck. How is it possible for me to accomplish everyday missions that are a risk to my life but when I'm confronted by cheer outifts and cute boys I freeze up?

Maybe because I've been training with lock picks and night vision goggles my whole life instead of pom poms and flirtatious boys that can't seem to take no for an answer. Either way this is all new to me but a mission is a mission. No matter how annoyingly pathetic it may seem at first I can confirm that cheering is definitely more than meets the eye.

As half time approached we got in a line, as we'd practiced, and began to walk out into the middle of the field. With the huge bright lights shining on us it made it extremely difficult to see anyone's face in the crowd, something I was extremely thankful for. We got into the formation that is now permanently engraved into my brain thanks to Amber and Brooke.

We did a couple of easy cheers which weren't too hard to remember but then came the harder parts. Lavender, already being flexible, had no trouble doing a couple backwards handsprings. This left Tiffany, Blaire, Palma, and I to form baskets so that Zoey and Amber could do a few aerials since they had much more experience.