Chapter 18: Issues

Athanasia POV ~

I wake up to the sound of birds screeching, making my ear bleed and ruining my beauty sleep. "ARGHHHHHH!" I let out a loud groan as I shove my head under my pillow. I closed my eyes and forced myself to go to sleep, however, I was unable to succeed, hence, I got up.

"Lily!" I yawned and rubbed my eyes. Then Ces opened the door and came in with a straight face.

"Miss, Lily is on another mission. She won't be available for quite some time" Ces sighs.

Another engagement again? How many times will father use her? I already gave up counting after the 6th engagement... I hope she's fine...

Though every time Lily comes back, she always seems to put on a smile for me. But when deep inside her eyes, it showed horror and suffering that I could not describe. With her reputation, will she ever find the man who will truly love her? Will she actually get married at all?

*TIME SKIP* - Hours Later -

"Father, can you let Lily take a break please?" I carefully picked up my cup of tea and gazed at my father who just avoided my eyes. "I think she had worked hard enough so can you please give her a rest?" I pleaded.

"... Well, it depends on Lillian if she wishes to rest then fine. But if she wishes to continue, then I can't stop her"

"She still can't push herself though! Force her to take a vacation!" Lily has already suffered enough! I remember seeing her gargle saltwater late at night in distress and complaining about how she still felt his mouth in hers. However, eventually, she got over it, but still!

"Athanasia, you must know the sacrifices that she has to commit. Don't forget whose decision it was to become an assassin." He glared coldly at me and I shivered at the look of it. "Sigh. Athanasia, it's for our sake. She needs to experience in order to become strong"

"... Yes, father" I said and gazed at the sky.

"By the way, you still haven't told me what happened that day" He sips his tea. "Would you like to tell me now or delay it again?"

"... I want to delay it until I muster up all the courage to tell you, father!~" I put on a bubbly smile, hoping that he'll accept my excuse again. "Also, can I go to town, father?~" He just gives me the cold shoulder and pretends that he didn't hear me. "Father?~." I giggled. "Dad? Daddy!~ Or should I say... papa?~" I tease and beg him by using all my trump cards.

"How about the next 2 weeks?"

"... Huh? Next 2 weeks?..." Is my imprisonment finally coming to an end? "I can wait!" I hop in my chair in excitement.

"... you know what? You'll have to earn it" His expression darkens as the atmosphere becomes gloomy. "You still have to work on your manners. Hence, I'm extending your etiquette class up to 3 hours per day"

"What??" My jaw dropped at his announcement. "Father! I still remember all the rules and proper manners! But when it comes to you.." I bare my teeth in glee. "I can't contain all my excitement and love for you!~" I giggled.

"Well suppress it and don't let it distract you" That sentence was like a stab in the back for me as I bit my lips in humiliation. "Besides. I don't want you to embarrass yourself when we go to the party"

"... Party?" I tilt my head in wonderment at what he means. "We're going to a party?"

"Yeah. Now I don't want you to panic but we got invited... To the emperor's birthday celebration" He said and I felt my heart drop.

I'm going to see the emperor with my own eyes for the first time?? Will he recognize me? No-no. Impossible. I'll be in disguise but he's known to have very strong magic... Even stronger than father. My body trembles and quivers at the thought of meeting the emperor.