Chapter 22: Gone

~ 3rd POV ~

"Patient #23: Dead" Hannah checks off the box on her clipboard. Wearing protective gear with a mask and goggles over her face and a lab coat that's pure white. She was cautious not to get dirty when handling her "patients"

"Oh my" Ces pours the liquids into a container over the burning flames that boils the serum. "How unfortunate" She comments emotionlessly without a care or sympathy for the pitiful person.

"I thought you said it could cure the person!"

"Well, I didn't say 'will' either!" Ces puts down the glass beaker and steps back as the serum overboils. "Besides, we're experimenting!"

The formula explodes, letting out a cloud of vapor as it changes color. "But soon we'll run out of people to experiment on! Plus I need to practice on some of them too!"

"I know that! However, this is a direct order from the Duke!"

"Yeah but-"

"Hush, you two!" They get startled by Lily's sudden yell and look over to her. She was wearing the black suit that allowed her to wear pants and it was comfortable to move around in. Her hair up in a ponytail and gloves that were stained in blood. She shakes her head at the two and walks up to the table with a strict face.

"Although we are going through trial and error, there is no time for an argument" Lily glares at them coldly that brought shivers down their spine that they let their head down. "If you need more people, come and ask me. I'm sure the prison has more than enough scums" She inspects the formula on the table. "Continue working and practice more. You'll need it"

"Yes, Miss," They both said and went back to work.

Leaving Ces behind, Lily and Hannah walk back to the dungeon where they kept all their test subjects. Since it requires two people to drug a person, Lily would have to hold down the person as Hannah injects them in the neck.

"..." Lily stared at the person with heartless eyes. "Is she dead?"

"No," Hannah said. "Only asleep"

Lily couldn't utter another word at Hannah's expression. Even she had some morals but for Hannah, it was different. Lily carries the person and follows Hannah to her lab, her private surgery ward whether she saves or tortures them. Either way, nobody is fine.

"... Place her on the table" Hannah told Lily with a grin.

Lily did so as she questioned the look on her face. How can Hannah have that smile when she does all types of horrible inhumane things to people? Even Lily didn't agree with this process but she can't go against her decision. It's the only thing that makes Hannah happy strangely.

"... What will you do?" Lily asked.

Hannah hums cheerfully as she puts on her gloves and gets out a medical book. "Practice!" She gets a cart full of her tools. "How else can I become a doctor if I don't properly inspect the human body?"

Lily sighed and turned her back on Hannah, refusing to watch the surgery. "Whatever, I'm going back to work" Lily took off her dirty gloves and threw it to the side. "This place reeks"

Hannah who was the weakest and most frightened person of the maid group thought there was no use in her if she'll only be a mere maid. Until they got to the torture chamber.

Killing. They could easily end one's life without caring for them but torturing was something else. Unable to bear with it, all they could do was look away while torturing them only to quickly end their sufferings. The screams and cries of pain haunted them as they felt guilty, however for Hannah. It was a different story.