Chapter 37: Entrance

The sun is out and the sky is clear. Everyone gathers around in the garden as they socialize with each other. Jennette hosted a tea party and invited her friends including Athanasia. Though Athanasia rolled her eyes at the invitation letter and burned it, not wanting to go to the party. Anastasia was required to go because she was the princess's best friend and also a spy for her master. She never went inside a magical storage or back to Athanasia at all. She stayed outside of her 'home' and explored the outside world, discovering new things that a clone shouldn't. She was breaking the law of nature.

Anastasia holds the quill pen up and leans on her wrist while thinking. The noisy background drowns out as she reads the context of her letter.

"Anastasia!" One of the girls calls her from behind and she jumps as she faces her. "... What are you writing there?" The admirer grins at her gleefully.

"A poem" She folds the letter and hides the content from her. "It's nothing special. I'm just bored"

"If you're bored, then why won't you talk with us?" She suggested and Anastasia blinked. "We're friends aren't we?"

"Yes, we are" She smiled with dimmed eyes. "We always have been" She stood up and went up to the girls with the folded letter hiding in her pocket.

"By the way, I'm so sorry for your loss"

"?" Anastasia tilts her head at her in bewilderment and then realizes what she meant. "Oh... It's ok. That was a long time ago"

"Yeah, but still. You're not even an adult yet and you have so many responsibilities after inheriting your household" The admirer said in concern.

".... Yeah..." Anastasia nods and stares at the ground. "But it's nothing that I can't handle"

"You're also being pressured to get married too!" She frowned. "If you need any help, it's ok to come to us! We'll protect you and give you our support!"

Anastasia smiled brightly and giggled. "Sure, I'll tell you if I do have any problem. Thank you for being my friend!" She said in a cheery voice but her eyes were dead.

She had no soul.

'Master. Your admirers are still with you but are no longer by your side' The clone felt guilt within her body.

"...Hmmm" She spaces out and then stands up from her chair.

The whole table stops chattering and looks at her in curiosity about her sudden action and straight expression. "Where are you going, Anastasia?"

"... Somewhere" She excuses herself. "I'll be back" She scurries away from the table and goes down the hall.

"W-Wait!" One of her friends yells for her and stands up quickly as the others slowly get off their chairs. However, Anastasia pretends not to hear and is already out of their sight, heading towards the Quartz Palace where her master is confined.

"... Does something about her seem off to you?"

"Well her parents did die and she's already a Duchess so it would make sense if she's a bit distant and dejected"

"... Yeah... it's a pity. Her parents really loved her and they died all of a sudden. It must've really affected her since she fired all the servants and didn't bother to rebuild her mansion, letting it burn to the ground. She wouldn't tell us where she lives too"

"She must be paranoid to reveal her own location now"

"Poor thing. She doesn't deserve it" Someone speaks up and drinks her bitter tea. "But at the same thing, I think she does"