Chapter 35: Familiar

The entire place was covered in a gloomy atmosphere as people just stood around wearing black only. Barely any tears were shed but everyone had a dark and sad expression. No smiles nor a jolly spirit, people had to respect the dead. The funeral was set up glamorously but small. There were many people but even the host didn't even recognize half of the faces in the crowd. Though many of them were just business partners of the Karalis household rather than friends. It was a funeral for the Duke and Duchess. Dian and Athanasius.

Athanasia, disguised as Anastasia, stood in the spotlight, wearing her funeral clothes and just spacing out into the light as people paid their respects to the dead. Assuming that she's the only one in her family, she automatically gets the title of Duchess to her household. Making her a target of marriage to many other nobles that wanted power. However, they would have to wait because it would be inappropriate to request a marriage on a tragic day for her to be an orphan.

"Anastasia" Someone calls her and she comes back to her senses. She turned to the person with a dull and questionable expression.

"... Yes, princess?" She stared into her jewel eyes that were pitying her.

"I'm sorry for your loss" Jennette holds up a rose and places it on top of the casket. "Your parents were wonderful people"

"Yeah..." She lets her head down as her expression darkens. "They were..."

"Are you alright? Do you need some time?" Jennette held her hands and looked at her straight in the eye with a sad frown. "If you need any help, I'm always here"

"Thanks, Jennette" She sighed. "But I already moved on. It's been a month after their deaths"

"Ok but if you do, it's ok to come to me" Jennette gives her a small smile and Anastasia returns it weakly.

Then after the funeral was finished, Athanasia thanked the guests for coming as they gave her praises and sorry for her loss. They were told that she went on a trip alone with her servants to visit the King of the Sidonna Kingdom which made the parents vulnerable to destruction. There was a bomb explosion that killed them and she came very later. They said she was lucky to leave or else she would've also died in the explosion. Needless to say, the false information managed to convince the people so they were not wary of her. Though it was strange how she fired the maids and they began working in the palace however it didn't worry them too much.

"If you need a place to stay, I have some extra rooms in my mansion" Ijekiel offered, knowing that the whole mansion was in complete ruins.

"Thank you for the offer, Ijekiel" Anastasia gives him an indifferent look. "However, I already have shelter"

"May I ask where? Your house is... gone and you mentioned that was your only home"

"My home was my family. No family = no home" She frowns and Ijekiel flinches. "... Don't worry about me. I'm fine by myself"

"But-"

"You should go home, Ijekiel. Your father is waiting for you" She quickly tells him with a strict face and he looks at her dully.

"If you need any help, I'm always available," Ijekiel said.

"Of course, you're always kind. Helping everyone and being their support" Anastasia's eyes droop as her expressions go blue. "It's very generous of you to do that. I admire it"

"I don't do that to just anyone though" He exclaims sternly to her quickly, making it clear. She didn't react to his words but remained the same with her gloomy aura.

"... Yes, you help people in need. However for me, I don't have any other need but food, water, and lastly shelter" She turned her head to the side. "Thank you for your company, Ijekiel and goodbye" She walks away alone to her carriage while Ijekiel watches her disappear from his sight.