Chapter 39: Misery

The palace becomes peaceful again but still gloomy with the maids forced to be regular again. No more of the fun games or climbing everywhere with weapons. They were just simple servants with attitude but they were still rivals with the knights. Since they weren't allowed to have weapons upon themselves, they couldn't defend anyone properly and so knights were established within the palace. The whole place became a warzone with the two sides doing nothing but scowling and taunting each other as they passed by. The maids snicker and mock their friends' deaths while the knights belittle them and brag about training. Nobody was happy.

Lily got assigned to serve as Diana's personal maid but they were still having trouble with one thing.

"Who's the father?" Diana begged her with an awkward smile while shaking in agony.

Lily's lips quiver as she covers her mouth, staring at the floor with a dark expression and sweating nervously.

"... Can we talk about something else, My Lady?" Lily forced a smile on herself while looking at her with teary eyes, begging to not ask her about it.

"Lillian," Diana grabbed her hands and stared directly at her soul. "Tell me"

"..." Lily reverts her eyes to the side anxiously while Diana continues to make her uncomfortable. "If I told you, will you get mad?"

"Mad? Me getting mad? Is that what concerns you?" Diana grinned menacingly. "I would never get mad at my dear Lily" She stared intensely at her and Lily trembled.

"I have an idea but I'm not sure myself"

"What do you mean?"

"Ahem. You know alcohol is very strong right?" Lily coughed and Diana squinted her eyes. "I probably did it when I was drunk so I don't know who it is" She answered directly to her face and Diana turned into stone.

"WHAT?!" She stumbles backward and Lily panics.

"Just kidding! I was joking!" Lily yelled. "But please don't tell anyone!" She clapped her hands together and Diana nodded.

"Ok! I won't!"

***

"Make Felix stay away from Lily as much as possible!" Diana announces to the maids aggressively with a stern look. "He's an enemy not to Lily, not to me, but to all of us! No knight will be allowed here and you guys will get to keep your weapons!"

The maids roared with different reactions. They were happy to be back but also determined to keep their leader safe from the knights. Everyone had figured out why Diana made the announcement.

"We will do our best, My Lady!" They all bowed and scattered away to get dressed properly.

Diana put on a grimacing face while walking back to her room. "... This is so complicated" She mumbled to herself.

***

Athanasia sits in her private library and reads a book. Anastasia sits across from her with a quill pen in her hand and writes on a piece of paper during the sunny afternoon. It's quiet and nice in the library with no one bothering them and the walls muffling all the sounds and ruckus happening outside. It was a time for them to relax and be at ease though the pregnancy still shocked Athanasia when she found out. Immediately she knew who it was and quickly got rid of her guard as fast as possible. Poor Felix gets even more tortured and confused when everyone suddenly turns hostile against him.

"What are you writing there?" Athanasia asked but didn't move her eyes away from the book.

"A poem, master" Anastasia lifts the pen off of the paper and sets it down. "Something to organize my thoughts and feelings"