Chapter 42: Retribution

AN: Chapter gonna be lit when the note is up here. Get ready for some action but don't get too thrilled. >:)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Two people inside the throne room, one on the ground while the other stands above. The lonely princess sitting in her room, concern for her only friend while she reads the poems. The complicated pair discussing the matters of their future. A nobleman dealing with political affairs. And the wizard, still on the journey home only to see one person.

Endlessly wandering around in the empty palace, Jennette walks around with a blank mind and a long face. She had thought hard and long about what Anastaisa's response to her confession. Loving a person that she would never get in the end, she was too caught up in her own fantasy land. She forgot that she was living in reality, a world where not all dreams come true and cruelty is a thing. The princess's life was ruined when she found out her true place and so she had to accept it.

KNOCK KNOCK

The pounding on the wooden door startles Athanasia, making her spill drops of her tea onto the sheets of paper laid out on the table. She calms her beating heart while letting out an exhale. She organized the papers while cleaning up and looked at the door.

"Who is it?" She wipes the table with a napkin.
"... Princess" A familiar voice muffled through the door and Athanasia froze in place. "It's me. Jennette" She mumbles in a strained tone. "Can we talk?"

Athanasia hesitates to answer the lonely woman waiting outside her door. The bright princess loved by the whole continent or so how the story is supposed to be is now dejected and gloomy who lost most of her supporters, even her father.

"Of course. Come in" Athanasia throws the papers into the bin as Jennette walks in with a smile to hide her bitter feelings. Athanasia notices her complexity and her eyes move up and down, scanning her body. Jennette had certainly spent some time grieving but she managed to stay organized and clean considering the way she was dressed. But makeup didn't cover her eye bags well enough moreover her sad expression. Athanasia knew it was serious.

"Hey, are you alright?" She asked the brunette that stood still with her head down. "Do you need some help?"

"I actually want to talk about something" Jennette fidgets with her fingers and Athanasia places her hands on her shoulders.

"Sure, what is it?" The blonde was ready to listen to the pitiful princess. She honestly felt bad for her and could never hurt her because after all, they were best friends in the past before.

"... Happy Birthday" She holds up a gold chain necklace with small jewels on it. Athanasia stares at it with her eyebrows raised as she steps backward. It was the same necklace that she gave to her a long time ago. "Sorry, I just wanted to give this back"

"... What?" She lifts her chin and faces her in shock. "... Give... Back?"

Jennette's mouth curved into a hard smile as her eyes drooped with sorrow. They stared at each other directly in the eyes. Then she gets nostalgia just staring into her familiar eyes that had a calming aura.

She extends her arms out and wraps her arm around Athanasia which catches her by surprise as she pulls her into a tight hug. Jennette continues to hug her in relief and warmth while Athanasia stands in confusion.

"I'm sorry for realizing it late" Jennette pulls away and grins at her with her eyes wrinkling. "The person I love all this time wasn't Anastaisa... It was you"

"... I..." Athanasia was speechless.

"I thought that I hated you for stealing Anastasia away from me but as it turns out she wasn't mine this whole time. I couldn't hate you at all, I was just envious" Jennette sheds bits of tear and Athanasia gapes at her.