Chapter 29: Obsession

~ Athanasia POV ~

Ah. It's another day like usual...

Except for the fact that the two most powerful families are having tea together. One side is Obelia while the other is the Karalis. I don't know how to react to this since we're technically all related. But why are my parents so calm?

Like, don't they find it suspicious that the emperor himself requested an audience with us? Ugh, this guy.

I glance at him with a frown as he just sits still with that deadpan face. He's even looking at my mother! Did he also got attracted by her beauty? He better not forget that she's already taken by father and has a child which is me!

"Anastasia, I made you some chocolate" Jennette offers me. "Would you like to try some?"

"A-Ah. Sure" I pick up the tasty-looking chocolates and put them in my mouth. "Thank you. It's delicious!" Wow, it's actually really good.

"I'm glad you like it!~" She smiles widely at me and I nod in agreement. Then she turns to our moms and offers it to them. "Would you like some?"

Her mother rejects her, saying that it's too much sugar for her. My mom takes one and compliments her well while savoring it.

"Oh! This taste!" My mom was astonished by it. "Did you perhaps get the nuts from the Sidonna Kingdom?"

Jennette nods with delight. "Yes!~"

We all chatter like normal ladies while the men just sit in silence, bored, and tired of our conversation. Sometimes, I don't get Claude's intention of inviting us if he's going to sit and watch us. Oh! Is it because we're getting the honor of being able to have time with the ruler of Obelia? Ugh, pathetic.

"... I met the king once" Claude said and we all looked at him. Well... that is random to say.

"Oh did you?" My mother clapped her hands together. "How was the meeting with my brother?" She said even though we despites him.

My father kept on giving my uncle the death stares the whole time when I met him. He was nice, only because my father was glaring at him. We had a conversation regarding the state of the kingdom and he offered me the throne right in front of the court. Of course, rumors spread but I quickly rejected him, saying that I only want to inherit my household as Duchess of Karalis.

"I don't remember," He bluntly tells us and we become speechless. H-How?

"That's right, you used to be the princess before you became the Duchess!" Penelope said to my mother and she nods. "How did you guys meet?"

My parents and I flinched while looking at her anxiously. "Hm?" My mother stared at her blankly with a smile. "How did we meet?"

"Yes, and why you guys fell in love and all that!" She pouts. "Come on, Dian! I'm dying to know"

The two of us broke into a cold sweat as everyone's eyes were on them. Father stays calm and looks at my mother, waiting for her to give an answer. I was also nervous because first off, I still don't know how they met and we have new identities for god sake! How did we not come up with our full backstory yet?!

"Erm." She coughed and grinned normally. "We met in the Sidonna Kingdom"

My face turns gloomy as I stare at her in disbelief. Mother, you can do better than that.

"Well... how and where specifically?" Penelope said.

"We met in the palace when I was visiting" My father took over the conversation and we both sighed in relief. Mother is not good at making up stories. "I roamed around and then saw her playing in the field. My first thought was... 'Is that a hobo?'"