chapter 14 "bits of glass"

Tony pushed Vic through the club door and into the parking lot, his mind racing. He had no idea what had gone on tonight to cause Vic to do this again. He pulled Vic’s shirt off to see if he had done any more damage to himself. There were minor scrapes on his back, although they looked like claw marks. Tony shuttered at the idea of what they could be from. The wound Vic had stabbed into his back made a jagged half-moon shape. Tony saw the smashed bottle and knew that was Vic’s weapon of choice.

Jaime and Jesse burst through the club door and into the parking lot. “Vic!” Jaime yelled looking at the blood all over his back. Jesse swayed slightly and let out a low “Woah.” “Where’s Kellin?” Tony asked, looking for anyone to answer. “He got …… uh….. Upset and left about an hour ago?” said Jaime unaware that Kellin had stayed in the parking lot after he had gone inside. Vic moaned slightly and put almost all his weight on Tony. Tony was intoxicated and didn’t have the balance to hold him up really. “We gotta get a cab. We have to go back.” said Jesse now aware of the situation at hand. Jaime sent a text to Jack, Justin, Gabe, and Mike, who he assumed still remained in the club. He told them they had left and to leave if they got this.

Mike kissed Maya softly on the fore head, still holding her in his arms. He didn’t know how long they had been laying like this but for all he cared, it never had to end. He felt her breath on his neck, he felt he chest rise and fall. He had forgotten how much he loved just being near her. The loud club music didn’t faze him, he was completely content. He shut his eyes and his phone buzzed in his pocket. ‘Not now.’ He thought, he dug his hand into his pocket and pulled out his phone.

It was from Jaime; he ignored it and shoved it back into his pocket. Maya sighed “Who was that, babe?” “Just Jaime, no big deal.” Mike mumbled, running his fingers through Maya’s long brown hair. “I get off soon. Wanna come back to my place tonight.” Maya said softly starring up into Mike’s eyes. Mike smiled “I’d say come back to mine but the bus isn’t very private.” She giggled and pushed her-self up to meet his lips. He kissed her softly as she got up. She picked her bra up off the floor and clipped the back “I’m gonna clock out. Wait outside for me?” she called over her shoulder as she walked out the velvet curtain.

Mike ran his fingers back through his hair and sat up on the bed. He pulled his sunglasses back over his eyes and pushed through the curtain and back into the crowded club. He walked past the cat walk; eyeing a girl wrapping her-self around a pole. He saw Justin receiving a lap dance and signaled him that he was leaving. He pulled open the club door and walked into the parking lot. Broken glass crunched under his feet. He looked down, there was blood pooled into the glass around the door. He looked around; there was a crinkled shirt on the ground not too far away. Mike walked toward it and picked it up. The left shoulder was soaked with blood. He threw the shirt and dropped to his knees. He felt his eyes grow hot with tears, as Maya walked around the corner.

Maya was wearing sweat pants, a hoodie and she had put her hair into a messy bun. Mike stood up from the ground and put his arm around her shoulders. “What were you doing on the ground?” she laughed looking up at him. “I dropped my phone and the battery fell out.” He lied, not wanting to worry her. They walked down the street a few blocks to a tall brick building with a gated door. Maya shook Mike’s arm from around her shoulder and fumbled in her pockets for a small key. She unlocked the gate and walked to the door, unlocking that door with the same key.

The inside lobby was dimly lit and an ‘out of order’ sign hung on the elevator door. The wall paper was slightly peeling and the stairwell door was propped open with a brick. They walked up the dark stair well to the sixth floor; Mike tripped twice on the uneven stairs. Maya pushed open a door on the side of the stairwell into another dimly lit hallway. They walked by a row of dark doors to a bright red door with ‘F7’ nailed to it in shiny brass letters. Maya pulled another small key from her pocket and opened the door.