chapter 15 "bang bang"

Kellin looked down at his hand, still rolled into a ball. Chubs let go and backed up, sensing Kellin’s distress. Kellin looked up at Darvon, “So?” Darvon said. Kellin shrugged his shoulders. “You okay. Okay small fry.” Said Darvon giving Kellin the ‘up down’. “Now you gotta scream.” choked the white kid who knew who Kellin was. Kellin peered over Darvon’s shoulder to get a look at him. He was tall and skinny, with a large grey hoodie and baggy jeans.

Kellin still couldn’t think of very many lyrics he could scream low. He most defiantly didn’t want to start with ‘James Dean’ or some ballad. Darvon took a step forward toward Kellin and said if you can’t just belt out a scream sing bitch.” Kellin now sensed that the crowd was far less friendly now that he was ignoring their requests to prove his fame. Kellin thought of ‘Four corners and Two sides’ but he couldn’t scream those parts his voice wouldn’t go that low. Kellin looked back over his shoulder and decided he would rather make a run for it, than sing high and get the shit beat out of him. Kellin bit his lip and looked back at the group.

He shuffled his feet turned on his heels and burst into a sprint out of the alley. “That little fuck!” Darvon yelled, the whole group burst out of the alley behind him. Kellin really wished he had known where he was going as he ran as fast as he could back the way he came. He looked over his shoulder they were still behind him screaming profanity. Kellin reached a busy road, he wanted to stop but he knew he didn’t have a choice. He ran into the busy street barley missing a car skidding to a stop. Half the group stopped at the edge of the road but Darvon was still on his heels. Still running as fast as he could he jumped a rail into a grocery store parking lot. He weaved in between cars as a loud bang erupted behind him.

He heard the bang before he the flash lit up behind him. Kellin threw his hands over his head and ducked slightly causing his pace to slow a bit. He searched his pockets for his phone but he couldn’t run and focus on the screen at the same time. Another bang and a flash erupted behind him, causing him to duck and slow once more. Kellin hit the redial button about 20 times before bringing the phone up to his ear and rolling behind a truck. “Kellin knew they would find him he didn’t make an attempt to hide his fall to safety. He looked at the screen he was calling Vic. He put the phone back to his ear; praying for him to answer.

Vic’s phone started buzzing in his pocket, Tony didn’t want to search Vic’s body for it but if it was Kellin he would have to. The entire group starred at Tony no one said a word; they all probably thought the same thing. Tony bit his lip and shoved his hand into Vic’s front pocket, bingo. He pulled the phone out and hit the speaker button. “Vic, Vic!” Kellins voice whispered out of the phone. “What’s wrong Kellin! Where are you!” Tony cried into the phone sensing Kellin’s distress. Kellin whispered into the phone “I don’t know where I am! I just I need help right now!” There was a loud bang and the call dropped. Tony looked up and Jack and Gabe who looked stunned. Jaime was already standing, “Let’s go!” He yelled, looking around frantically. No one spoke, no one moved.

“That was a gun! Kellin could be shot! Kellin could be dead!” He yelled frantically searching his pockets for keys. Tony stood up and took a deep breath “We have no idea where he is. But that doesn’t mean were not going after him.” He said looking at Justin and Gabe who still hadn’t moved. Jaime pulled out a set of keys from his pocket and began to remove them from the ring. “Van!” he yelled tossing a key to Tony. “Wake up Vanhook, take the van and you two go look down by the club!” Tony nodded his head and walked out the door. Jaime pulled off another key and fondled it in his fingers “I’m the most sober. Gabe, Jack you’re coming with me were taking my car.” He turned to Jesse, “Make sure Vic doesn’t choke on his barf.” Jesse moaned and sank back to the ground. He wouldn’t have been much help anyway, he was too drunk. Jaime walked out the door with a determined sort of swag.