chapter 16 "no pulse"

Jaime’s phone buzzed in his pocket he pulled it out, and hit send. “PARKING LOT OMG WERE IN A PARKING LOT OH MY GOD THERES SO MUCH BLOOD HE’S NOT MOVING!!! THERES A STORE IT’S A JUBBILEE I THNK OH MY GOD JUST HURRY!!” Justin Vanhook screamed through the phone, he hung up before waiting for Jaime to answer. Jaime looked at Tony and ran toward the van. Tony hopped into the driver’s seat and tore out of the parking lot before Jaime had even shut the door.

“Where are we going?” Tony yelled. “I don’t know just drive straight!” Jaime screamed now very flustered. They drove past the strip club, “THAT’S MY CAR!!!!” Jaime yelled. Tony skidded to a stop and drove through the median into the empty parking lot. Jaime jumped from the van and screamed “JUSTIN!” He heard very faint footsteps as the other Justin ran around a car. “I just got the call! Oh my god he went this way!” Justin took off in a sprint down the sidewalk, Jaime and Tony ran after him. They got to an intersection and looked around frantically. Tony went with his instincts and ran left down the street. Jaime and Justin followed. “There it is!” Jaime screamed passing Tony and running into the parking lot. “VANHOOK!” he screamed. They heard a whimpering yell from behind a large black truck, “Over here….” Tony jumped over the hood of a car and ran over the roof of another to reach them.

Tony landed on the ground behind Justin with a thump. He only saw Kellins arm. He swallowed hard and edged around the back of the truck, his shoes soaking up the blood. Jaime ran around from the other side and shoved Tony back word. He shook his head and bit his lip, “You don’t want to see this man.” He said lowly wrapping his arms around Tony’s shoulders. Justin Vanhook just sat on the ground against the trucks bumper starring into the distance no one knew if Kellin was alive or dead. No one could get close enough to check. Justin shook his head wildly and pulled his phone from his pocket; hands shaking he dialed 911.

He put it on speaker, ‘hello 911 what is your emergency?’ Justin took a deep breath, “We are in the Jubilee parking lot off of the Jameson strip, our friend has been shot.” ‘Is he awake can he speak?’ “No. he was shot about 40 minutes ago. We think. We were on the phone with him when we heard the gun shots.” Sir, Please‘check his pulse.’ Justin kneeled into the blood and placed to fingers on Kellin’s neck…. He waited….. ‘sir’ “I don’t know I can’t…. yes! He has a pulse barley.” ‘We are sending an ambulance to you please wait for assistance’ “Thank you”

Justin Vanhook stood up and pushed passed Tony and Jaime without a word. He walked through the rows of cars and down the street. Justin watched him walk away and looked toward Jaime, who just shrugged his shoulders.

Tony pulled from Jaime’s arms and ran over to Kellin. He looked in between the two car where his body laid. He cupped his hands over his mouth and dropped to his knees. His body was mutilated. He had a gash on his fore head, his finger hung almost detached from his hand, and he right knee twisted away from him in a sickening arch. Tony gasped and puked into his own lap. Justin flinched and tried to block his view of Kellins body. Everyone was so nonchalant about their friend laying lifeless on the ground. It was if they knew he was gone, or thought he was. Jaime spoke lowly “Take him back to the van. Just meet us at the closest…. Hospital.”

Justin put Tony’s arm around his shoulder and pulled him up and weaved him through the parked cars to the road. Jaime watched them disappear and turned his attention back to the limp arm in front of him. He still hadn’t actually seen what had happened to Kellin. He took a deep breath and took a step forward’ eyes shut he turned. He opened his eyes, and felt light headed. There was so much blood, there was no way Kellin was alive. He kneeled beside him and whispered softly “What did you get yourself into bud...” He heard distant sirens he looked back to Kellin. “Just hang in there just a little bit longer, it won’t be just longer.” He whispered.

Jesse sat up as screeching tires raced into the pulled into the rest lot. The door swung open It was Justin, out of breath he choked out “Kellin… Blood… not breathing… we gotta….. hospital…” Jesse stood up and looked down at Vic. “We can’t just leave him here.” Jesse said groggily. “Uhm….. okay uh… Carry him?” said Justin trying to think of a solution. Jesse put his hand on Vic’s chest and shook him. Vic started coughing and opened one eye, “What…” He mumbled lowly about to fall asleep again.

Jesse shook him again, this time causing him to open both eyes and cough again. “We gotta go save your babe.” Said Jesse to Vic calmly, his hand still on his chest. Vic looked completely un-amused and said “What the fuck are you talking about.” He seemed more annoyed than confused. “We can’t risk a break down right now; just explain it to him in the car…” said Justin now half out the door. Vic sat up and let Jesse pull him to his feet. His shoulder burned, and his arm itched. He began to slowly recall the night as he headed out the door and got into the back of Jaime’s car. “Now please tell me what is going on.” asked Vic as Justin Vanhook sped into the road. “Well Kellin must have like gotten into some trouble after he left the club and we found him…” said Justin cautiously.

“So… were going to get him?” asked Vic now a bit annoyed. “Kellin was shot.” Called Justin Vanhook from the driver’s seat, “He was shot just tell him what happened don’t sugar coat it. He got shot and he wasn’t breathing when we found him okay.” Justin Vanhook tactlessly finished his sentence. “Vic?” asked Justin putting his hand on his shoulder. Vic didn’t speak, he didn’t move. He just starred at his lap, jaw limp. He blinked slowly and looked up at Justin. Justin starred back at him neither one spoke.

Vic couldn’t move his body was numb. Shot? Shot? He thought. What where why? He wanted to scream but he just starred at Justin unable to produce words. The car swung into a parking lot filled with flashing lights and men and woman in scrubs. A man in green scrubs with blood on his shirt knocked on their window. Justin Vanhook slowly rolled it down and looked at the man. “You boys can’t be here were dealing with an emergency.” He said annoyed.

“I fucking know that, okay? I called it in dumbass!” Justin Vanhook screamed at the man with no hesitation. The man in scrubs clenched his jaw and backed away from the car. As Justin Vanhook went to put the car into drive Vic exploded out of the car door and ran toward the ambulance. “Hey! Hey!” called the man in scrubs running behind him. Justin Vanhook looked at Justin in the back seat and said “Get out.” “What?” said Justin. “I’m leaving get out. I’m not gonna tour with this shit, you guys go to the damn hospital every other stop I’m not dealing with this.” Justin Vanhook responded sharply. Justin got out of the car and watched him drive away, Taking Jaime’s car with him.