chapter 23 "stutters"

Tony walked down the hallway meeting up with Jaime, Gabe and Jack. “So Kellin want’s chicken nuggets so… where too?”

“Tony how about you get a shirt first……” said Gabe looking at Tony’s tattooed and cheese covered chest.

Tony turned slightly red, “Hahahaha…. Yea uhm right.” He said re-adjusting his hat awkwardly. Tony turned on his heels and walked out the lobby door into the parking lot. He looked around and finally spotted the bus at the complete other end of the lot. “Darn.” He sighed, starting across the pavement.

Vic looked down into Kellin’s blue green eyes, smiling slightly at his helplessness. He rubbed his thumb across the back of Kellins mangled knuckles.

“Now were both all broken.” He said smiling into his eyes.

Kellin bit his lip and looked up at him, all the while intertwining their fingers together.

Vic knew Kellin remembered everything. He knew that even though Kellin couldn’t speak that he would be able to be there through his actions. He knew he wouldn’t have to worry about him just forgetting him; and that was the best feeling in the world.

Vic’s mind all of a sudden went dark, ‘he can’t speak.’ He thought loud in his head. The thought hit him like a train, ‘he can’t even form a word how is he supposed to sing a song.’ Vic felt his mouth fall open as he pulled his gaze away from Kellin. ‘The doctors didn’t say anything about Kellin’s speech being affected… they just told him not to talk.

What if postponing the tour for a couple weeks wasn’t enough, what if Kellin wasn’t going to sing again. It seemed so silly that a gun shot to the knee could cause so much harm to Kellins body. They had to relive pressure from his spine, his lungs collapsed and he was bleeding internally. All of this extra shit just from a silly bullet to the knee.

Vic had to pry his attention away from his thoughts when two nurses came in the room with a wheel chair. One nurse had curly blonde shoulder length hair. She was pretty but a little heavier, while the other nurse was about average looking with dark brown hair pulled back into a loose bun.

“We have to take Mr. Quinn here to get a caste fitted on his leg.” Said the blonde nurse, her name tag now visible her name was Tammy. She walked over to Kellin’s bedside and smiled at Vic.

Vic knew that was his queue to move and he released Kellin’s hand and backed up into the corner of the room.

The two nurses helped Kellin sit up and pulled back the sheets around his bed. The hospital gown he had been wearing had the chest ripped open and the edges of it were stained with blood.

“You know what hunny,” started the Tammy the nurse looking over at Vic, “Your friend here probably doesn’t want to go through the hospital like this.”

Vic didn’t know what she was saying and he responded with a sallow “What?”

“You boy came here on the big black busses right? So why don’t you go grab him some under shorts or something to wear when he gets his caste fitted. We can wait.” She seemed genuinely concerned with the situation and nodded at Vic as he walked out of the room.

Vic pulled open the door and walked into the quiet hallway. “I can’t fucking do this shit.” He whispered to himself running his hands back through his hair. He stood outside the door and counted to ten; taking deep breaths. He cleared his mind a little and walked down the lobby toward the main doors.

He pushed open the tall glass door into the warm California air. He scanned the lot, spotting the busses parked at the very back of the lot. He knew they couldn’t be upfront because of how much space they took up. He walked toward them taking up a bit of a faster pace than normal, knowing people were waiting for him to get back.