chapter 24 "man hickeys"

“Ow!” exclaimed Kellin as the nurse adjusted Kellin’s leg. Kellin’s leg was in a long tube with multiple cut spirals in it, it kept his leg completely straight and it was extremely painful, even with all the medication he was on.

“Any color you want?” asked the larger nurse pulling out spools of casting material.

“Do you ha-ave a uhm black-k one?” Kellin asked feeling as though she wanted him to choose a bright color.

“Well yes we do but you can only sign in silver pen on the black one.” She said as if asking him to pic another color.

“No black i-s-s fine.” Kellin responded hastily, now beginning to feel like a child.

The nurse left the room allowing the doctor that had done his surgery to enter. He walked in completely avoiding Kellin’s gaze, keeping his eyes glued to the chart in his hand. “So, that bullet completely destroyed your knee here.” He spoke lowly not looking up from his chart.

Kellin looked down at his blue and purple swollen leg, it looked like something out of a horror film all mutilated and stiches in different ways. The orange disinfectant fluid was still around the creases of the stiches, he wandered how many he had.

“Okay so the pins that are in there now keeping everything together… those are going to have to be taken out in a month and re positioned with a new cast okay?” The doctor was still glued to the chart when he spoke again.

“Okay-ay that’s c-c-cool-ool…. I won’t have t-t-to come b-back here w-w-will I?” asked Kellin thinking of the tour and tentatively running his fingers over the stiches on his knee.

“Yea know I’m gonna give you a copy of your records to take around with you and when you have to go get those set you just, uh, bring them with you and they will know what to do.” Finally the doctor looked up from his chart, his cold, icy blue eyes meeting Kellin’s. The doctor handed Kellin the sheets, unclipping them from the chart. “Okay well, I’m gonna let the nurses finish up your cast then. Oh you can leave as soon as it sets.” The doctor was almost to the door. He turned around, “Uhm if you plan on performing like this I suggest sitting down, the cast will break if you put too much force on it.” He pulled open the door and left the room.

Kellin took a deep breath, looking up at the bright fluorescent lights above him. He couldn’t believe what had happened so far on this tour. It was like this tour was cursed, what could have possibly set it on this path strait into the ground.

--

Vic crumpled the paper food bag into a ball and threw it over in Jaime’s direction, hitting him in the head. Jaime jumped slightly and spilled some of his drink down his shirt. Jaime looked over in Vic’s direction, sending a sarcastic smile his way.

Gabe nodded at Jack and glanced over at Jesse, finishing their low spoken conversation he looked over at Vic. “So we think that if… If Kellin can sing… If he can sing we’ll continue on the rest of the tour but, I mean… He has to really be able to sing.”

All conversation ceased immediately all attention turned on Vic, who spoke slowly. “I well uhm, If he can’t sing… I mean… He’s… It would just be…” Vic couldn’t finish his sentence. He cleared his throat and passed his hand roughly over his stitched arm. “I would well… want him here… with me…” Vic bit his lip and looked around, waiting for someone’s approval.

“I mean whatever you wanna do man.” Jaime replied, with a mouthful of burrito. Jaime sent a look over at Tony that made him shrug back into his chair.

Vic looked at Tony, who tried his hardest to avoid eye contact. “Tone?” Vic asked lowly.

Tony bit his lip and let his eyes lock on Vic’s, he didn’t say a word. Tony pulled in a deep breath and held it, preparing himself to say something rather important. “Do you maybe think that it could still just be the road or something?” He asked softly pulling his eyes away from Vic and down to his shoes.