8

She walked down to Hagrid's hut to meet him, "Good morning, Professor!" She winked, "How does it feel?"

"Not sure if it's nerves or gas." He laughed, causing her to do her famous giggle, which put Hagrid in a good mood. 

"I'm nervous too!" she told him, "But look at these socks!" 

She bent down, lifting her pant leg to show her hippogriff socks.

"Got 'em this summer!"

"I think we'll make a great team, Maeve."

She saw Buckbeak and walked over to him, "Oh, Maeve! Be car..." but before he could finish his thought, the scene that took place in front of him was something else.

"It's okay Hagrid," she waved off the giant, "hello you sweet boy." She reached for the hippogriff.

Usually, you bow to hippogriffs and they tell you when you can walk forward. But it was the opposite, Buckbeak bowed to her as she walked towards him and she placed her hand on his head. "This girl and animals is something else." Hagrid whispered to himself.

 "Alright Maeve, why don't you go meet the class up the hill and I'll be up there in a minute with Buckbeak?"

"Sounds good!" She walked off, only to walk up on the class. There was already drama happening between Potter and some Slytherins, some reason their hoods were all up and they were laughing.

She let off a small cough to get everyone's attention, which it did and that's when it hit. She's not used to being the center of attention. Like it's different from the sorting ceremony, even though she's the loudest, people still are clapping. But this was something else, she was just a girl standing in front of a class of her peers, who were only a few years younger than her.

"She looks like she's gonna be sick." Ron whispered to Hermione, she elbowed his ribs. "Shut up, she's doing great." She gave Maeve a smile.

"Hello guys!" She said, trying not to bit the inside of her cheek.

"I see that you all have your textbooks.." she gulped, "If you could open your books to 49.."

"And exactly how do we do that?" Draco asked

"Stroke the spine of course, silly." She said, with that famous smile, she could easily bring a Slytherin to their knees. But before that could happen Hagrid showed up with Buckbeak. The class all stumbled back a bit, but in aw, they watched as the large beast that towered over Maeve's small body, walk up beside her and put his head down for her to pet it. And with that, a giggle escaped her mouth. She whispered into Buckbeak's ear, "Im nervous too."

"How does she do it" the trio heard Draco tell his friends, "She is like a third of his size and she's more afraid of us than that beast."

The trio was confused on how he went from calling her a freak less than an hour ago to kind of complimenting her. But that was what she did to people, she made people soft. She could do nothing wrong.

Hagrid clapped his hands to get the class attention again. "Da da dada!" He cheered motioning towards the large beast that seemed to have taking a connection with the small girl. It had front legs, wings and a head of an eagle and the body, hind legs and tail of a horse. Everyone seemed a little frightened of the beast. And as if the sound barrier was breaking, Maeve's soft voice rang in the air, "Isn't he beautiful?!" She giggled and then threw a dead ferret to the beast.

"Say hello to Buckbeak!" Hagrid sang.

"Hagrid... what exactly is that?" Ron asked a bit frightened.

Hagrid looked down at Maeve, where she took the cue to say something.

"Oh! That ron," her just saying his name made him blush, Hermione laughed, "this is a hippogriff, one of my favorite animals. They are very proud creatures, very easily offended..." she giggled a bit before saying, "you don't want to insult a hippogriff. My dad forgot to feed our Tilly on time once and walked up to her too fast. He nearly last arm." She laughed and Hagrid did too. But the class didn't, they just swallowed. "Oh there's nothing to be afraid of, just don't get on its bad side." She finished with a smile