Chapter 43

He stood on the front steps and she stood a few feet away from him, they didn't close the gap between them.

"I got your letters."

"You okay?" He asked, he already knew the answer.

"No." She said, she wasn't herself anymore. There was a dark cloud that surrounded her, she was a shell. The last time he saw her was a month ago at the final feast.

"I know, I'm here for you, we all are. We really mi.."

"I think we should break up." She interrupted him.

"What?" He breathed out

"I know you make me feel good. And that's something I don't take for granted lately, no." a tear fell, ""I know this isn't easy" That's all that people tell me. I know I want you. I am in love with you. But I..." she let out a small sob, "I need time. Because I can't give you what you deserve when I can barely take care of myself" he noticed how small she got, her eyes were dark like she'd hadn't slept in days.

"I'll wait for you."

"I don't want you to. If you meet someone else I don't to hold you back."

"They'll never be anyone else." He started to slowly walk towards her, but she just apparated back to her room, leaving him alone. He just stood there in silence for a bit, mostly in shock because he was finally able to talk to her again but also because his heart was breaking. He walked back inside and found his mom standing in the kitchen.

"Oh love, I'm so sorry." She had heard the whole conversation. She had walked down when she heard the cracking noise. She walked up to her son and pulled him into a hug, "she always comes back. She lost her best friend, the closest thing she had to a real sibling." He let out a small sob in her shoulder.

"I just want her to know she's not alone. I love her mom."

"I know you do. She loves you too, it's not hard to see that." They stood together in the kitchen hugging each other for a while until they heard another crack from outside.

"She's back." He turned to open the door.

When she got home, the house was calm. And then all of a sudden there was an explosion, She looked outside her window to see the barn in flames, creatures were running all over the place. Her heart sunk and then her mom ran into her room and grabbed her.

"They found us." Her mom said.

"What? Who?" Maeve was beginning to shake, then there was another explosion downstairs.

Her mom threw her hand around Maeve's mouth and pulled her into a corner, "they know about your gift, I don't know how. But they found us. He found us."

"Mom who?" She whispered, her fear had completely blocked out everything she had been feeling for the past month.

"Death Eaters. You-know-who." Her mom looked into her eyes, she had never seen her mom this scared. Then the door to her room swung open, and both woman screamed.

"I found them." The hooded man yelled. "We were looking for you, Miss Scamander." Her mom stood in front of Maeve but the death eater stunned her and she fell. At that moment she thought she just witnessed her moms murder, but then she saw the rise and fall of her chest. Maeve let out a breath of relief. Before they could grab her, without even realizing if she could even do it anymore, she sent her patronus to Remus and Sirius. And then her arm was grabbed and she was taken.

Sirius was at his house tonight, he had been staying at his childhood home recently. Remus and him were in the kitchen when all of a sudden a bright light came flying through the back door. It was a hippogriff.