A Study In Pink- Eleven

Chapter Eleven

Third POV

The taxi parked outside. Leaning against it, the taxi driver, Jeffery Hope. Such an ordinary man. "Taxi for Sherlock Holmes."

"I didn't order a taxi."

"Doesn't mean you don't need one."

"You're the cabbie, the one who stopped outside Northumberland Street. It was you, not your passenger."

"You see, no one ever thinks about the cabbie. It's like we're invisible. Just the back of a head. Proper advantage for a serial killer."

"Is this a confession?"

"Oh yes. And I'll tell you what else, if you go and get the coppers now, I wont run, I'll sit quiet and they can take me down. I promise. But your not going to do that."

"Am I not?"

"I didn't kill those four people, Mr. Holmes. I spoke to them and they killed themselves. Go and get the coppers now,
and I promise you this: I will never tell you what I said." With that, he turns and calmly climbs into the cab. "No one else will die though. I believe they call that a result."

"Yes, but you wont ever understand how those four people died. Which result do you care about?" Sherlock glanced to the window of his flat. All he has to do is call out but... but... Michelle appeared in view of the window. With a nod of her head, the cabbie not noticing, Sherlock knew all that had to be. "If I wanted to understand, What would I do?" He spoke to himself, "Let me take you for a ride."

"So you can kill me too?"

"I'm not going to kill you, Mr. Holmes. I'm going to talk to you. And your going to kill yourself." Sherlock nodded his head back at Michelle before climbing into the cab. The cabbie smiles and starts her up.

"He just got into a cab. Sherlock, he just drove off in a cab!" Donovan glanced at us, almost pityingly. "I told you. He does that." However, John was not satisfied, he knew something was wrong. As the officers left I started to spit fire at John. "John who hunts in the middle of a crowd? Who do we trust without knowing? Who can go and leave without being noticed? A cab driver. That email stated that the smartphone was here, because it was but it left the minute Sherlock did. Do you understand now?" Nodding his head, we dialled a cab. Waiting for the next event to unravel...

Third POV

"How did you find me?" Looking into his rearview mirror the cab driver replied: "Oh, I recognised you. Soon as I saw you chasing my cab. Sherlock Holmes. I was warned about you. I've been on your website too, brilliant stuff. I loved it!" Sherlock was surprised to think so of it. Trust him to get the wrong attention attracted to his website. He noticed at the back of the cabbies ear, tiny traces of shaving foam. The word SINGLE pulses and fades.

"Who would warn you about me?"

"There's someone out there who's noticed you." Sherlock's eyes flicked to a photograph of two children 8 and 10 laughing on the sofa. A women's arm is around them - but she's been cut out of the photograph, however the frame is quite new. The words DIVORCED and ESTRANGED pulse and fade away. "Who?"

The Taxi Driver just smiles. "Who would notice me?"

"You're too modest, Mr. Holmes."

"I'm really not."

"You've got yourself a fan!"

"Tell me more."

"That's all your going to know... In this life time."