The Abominable Bride- Eight

Chapter Eight

Third POV

At the stately home of the Carmichaels, Sir Eustace stands near the fireplace of a large drawing room. Watson stands facing him whilst Holmes and Michelle pace around the room. "Somnambulism."

"I beg your pardon?"

"I sleepwalk, that's all. It's a common enough condition. I thought you were a doctor. The whole thing was a bad dream."

"Including the contents of the envelope you received?" Sir Eustace tries to laugh. "Well, that's a grotesque joke."

"Well, that's not the impression you gave your wife, sir."

"She's an hysteric, prone to fancies. Just like Lady Phillips." Sir Eustace points towards Michelle, who stopped pacing. Watson gazes to the ceiling above. "No."

"I'm sorry? What did you say?"

"I said no, she's not an hysteric. She's a highly intelligent woman of rare perception, just like Lady Phillips."

"My wife sees terror in an orange pip." He spits. "Your wife and Michelle can see worlds where no one else can see anything of value whatsoever."

"Can they really? And how do you 'deduce' that, Mr Holmes?"

"She married you." Michelle took the words out of Holmes's mouth. The boys smiled towards her. "I assume she was capable of finding a reason, Sir?" She rhetorically asked. Sir Eustace angrily surges towards her. Watson instantly steps closer to Michelle, ready to protect her if necessary whilst Holmes clasps onto her hand, but Sir Eustace stops as Holmes speaks: "We'll do our best to save your life tonight, but first it would help if you would explain your connection to the Ricoletti case."

"Ricoletti?"

"Yes. In detail, please."

"I've never heard of her." He replies instantly. Michelle strides forward, face to face. "Interesting. Mr Holmes didn't mention she was a woman. We'll show ourselves out."

"I hope to see you again in the morning." Holmes concludes. The trio begin to leave the room. "You will not!"

"Then sadly we shall be solving your murder. Good day." Holmes, Watson and Michelle walk into the entrance hall. Holmes takes a notebook from his trouser pocket and writes a note onto one of the pages. "Well, you tried." A footman walks across the hall towards them. Holmes addresses him: "Will you see that Lady Carmichael receives this?" He hands him the note. "Thank you. Good afternoon."

"Yes, sir." The trio walk on. "What was that?"

"Lady Carmichael will sleep alone tonight, on the pretence of a violent headache. All the doors and windows of the house will be locked." Holmes concludes. "Ah, you think the spectre..." Holmes and Michelle throw a disapproving look. "The Bride will attempt to lure Sir Eustace outside again?" Watson corrects himself. "Certainly. Why else the portentous threat? 'This night you will die'."

"Well, he won't follow her, surely?"

"It's difficult to say quite what he'll do. Guilt is eating away at his soul." Holmes pulls his gloves from the pocket of his coat and puts them on. "Guilt? About what?"

"Something in his past. The orange pips were a reminder." Michelle stated. "Not a joke."

"Not at all. Orange pips are a traditional warning of avenging death, originating in America. Sir Eustace knows this only too well, just as he knows why he is to be punished." Michelle straightens Holmes's deerstalker whilst talking. "Something to do with Emelia Ricoletti."