The Blind Banker- Finale

Chapter Eleven

Sherlock and John were sat at the table starring at the decoded message whilst I made some breakfast. " 'Nine mill...' "

" 'Million'."

"Yes. 'Million'. 'Nine million for Jade Pin. Dragon Den Black Tramway'."

"I guess my instincts were correct." I stated dishing up food. "Yes. An instruction, to all of their operatives in London. A message, what they were trying to reclaim."

"A jade pin?"

"Worth nine million pounds. Bring it to the tramway, Their London hideout."

"But... A hairpin. Worth nine million pounds!"

"Apparently."

"Why so much?"

"Depends on who owned it."

We got ready to head over to the bank. "Two operatives, based in London. They travelled over Dalian to smuggle those vases. Then one of them helped themselves to something. A little hairpin."

"Worth nine million pounds, apparently."

"Eddie Van Coon was the thief. He stole the treasure when he was over in China."

"How'd you know it was Van Coon and not Lukis? Even the killer didn't know that."

"Well I stated so John, do none of you hear me? Plus it was because of the soap." We spin the revolving doors leaving John baffled on the pavement. We made it to the trading floor and noticed Amanda was putting on some hand lotion on. "He gave you a present."

"Oh, hello."

"When he came back from China. A little gift." I stated coming up from behind her. "You weren't just his PA, were you?"

"Someone's been gossiping."

"No."

"Then I don't understand..."

"Hand soap. In his flat. With moisturiser. Three hundred milli-litres. Almost finished the bottle." I stated briefly looking to her desk. "Sorry?"

"I don't think Eddie Van Coon was the sort of chap who would buy himself scented hand soap. Not unless he had a lady come over. Same brand as the hand cream on your desk here."

"It wasn't serious between us. It was over in a flash. It couldn't last. He was my boss after all..."

"What happened? Did you end it?" Amanda shrugs proving Sherlock right. "I thought he was taking me for granted. He didn't appreciate me. Stood me up once too often. We'd plan to go away for a weekend and the suddenly he'd leave. Fly of to China at a moment's notice."

"But he brought you back a present from abroad. To say 'sorry'." Sherlock then holds out his hand. "Could I just have a look at it." She reaches into her hair and takes out the jade pin, placing it into Sherlock's open hand. "Said he bought it in a street market."

"Ah, no. I don't think that's true. I think he stole it."

"That's Eddie."

"I don't think he even knew it's value. Just thought that it would suit you."

"Oh how much is it worth?" Amanda leaned forward with hands clasped, Sherlock then turned to me gesturing for I to do the honours. "Nine million pounds." Her smile falters and she jumps from her desk shrieking. "Nine... Nine million."

Museum - Day

We make it to the Chinese Antiquities Room. The mannequin of the Empress in gold and black. The mannequin's costume was fashioned to resemble her exactly for what she was on her wedding day, a thousand years ago. It wears a plastic green hairpin as part of the ensemble. "Empress Wu Zetian. Only women to rule Imperial China. This costume is a mock-up of course. She lived fourteen hundred years ago. Nothing of hers survived."

"You're sure about that?" I asked the museum director. "You hear rumours. The Chinese are always uncovering new artefacts. Anything from her would be worth... Millions" Sherlock produces the hairpin. "I wonder, could you find a place for this, somewhere in the display?" Wide eyed she looks at the pin and immediately knows it's true value...

We walk past Andy, smiling sadly. "Almost the last thing she said to me... You have to look hard at something to see its value. I knew she was a sweet girl. But truly, I never knew how brave she was as well." Walking towards him again, I point to the wall. "That list of benefactors, on the gallery wall. What sort of donation would I need?" Handing the envelope to him, he opens it wide eyes open. "This would certainly cover it. What name?"

"Three words."

"Of course. 'Holmes, Phillips, Watson'." I shake my head. "No, no that certainly won't do. How about Soo Lin Yao?" He gave us a nod in appreciation before we left.

Exiting the museum, "Over a thousand years old. And it's sitting on her bedside table every night."

"He didn't know it's value; Didn't know why they were chasing him." I walked along listening to conversation before replying: "Should of bought her a lucky cat." We shared a subtle chuckle before both John and I, turned to see Sherlock almost sad. "You mind don't you?"

"What?"

"That she escaped. General Shan. It wasn't enough getting her henchmen was it?" I asked. "It must be a vast network. Thousands of operatives. We barely scratched the surface."

"You cracked the code though. Maybe Dimmock can track them all down. Now that he knows it."

"John, once again I applaud you for enthusiasm but all the smugglers have to do is pick up another book." We carried on walking the streets, silently. Then a hand slipped into mine. I looked to Sherlock, but he looked ahead. I smiled knowingly and gave his hand a gentle squeeze...

Third POV

In a darkened room stood a table and chair faced to some grimy windows. General Shan sits at the table. A laptop in front of her. She was talking to the webcam - skype.

"Without you, without your assistance, we would not of found passage into London. You have my thanks." The man on the screen types his reply. The words appear on her computer, his username at the start of each line:

'M_ GRATITUDE IS MEANIGLESS.'

'M_ IT IS ONLY THE EXPECTATION OF FURTHER FAVOURS.'

Pause. The cursor hangs there on the screen, blinking.

"We did not anticipate... We did not know this man would come. This Sherlock Holmes. Now you're safety is compromised."

The reply is typed on screen:

'M_ THEY CANNOT TRACE THIS BACK TO ME.'

"I will not reveal your identity..."

'M_ I AM CERTAIN.'

A little red dot appears on the wall behind her. A laser. It travels slowly across the room towards her. Lastly landing on her head.