The Blind Banker- Five

Chapter Five

Trafalgar Square - Day

We were passing through Trafalgar Square. Sherlock was indeed on a roll. "The world runs on codes and ciphers, John... That million pound security system at the bank, the pin machine you took exception to... Cryptography inhabits our every waking moment..."

"Yes. OK. But..."

"But it's all computer generated. Electric codes, electronic ciphering methods. This is different: It's an ancient device. Modern code-breaking methods can't unravel it."

"Sherlock I sense we're going somewhere that is clever in their area of expertise than you." I stated. "Shut up!"

"Where are we headed then?"

"He's not cleverer than me, Michelle. He's of average mind. I need his advice." Sherlock deflected John. "What? Sorry?" Poor John was confused. "You heard me perfectly. I'm not saying it again."

"You need advice."

"On a painting. Yes. I need to talk to an expert." We did arrive at the National Gallery but Sherlock cuts down a side alley. A skateboard punk: Hoody, baseball cap and over-sized jeans. Spray can in hand and a bag by his feet. He was spraying on the rear wall of the gallery. A policeman with a pig face. "I call it 'Urbanbloodlustfrenzy'."

"Very catchy..."

"I've got two minutes before a Community Support Officer comes round that corner. Can we maybe talk whilst I'm working?" Sherlock then proceeds to show the boy his phone, chucking his can to John. "Know the author?"

"I know the paint. Looks like Michigan, hardcore propellant. I'd say zinc."

"And what about the symbols? Recognise them?" I asked. "Well it's not a tag. I'm not even sure it's a proper language."

"Two men have been murdered, Raz. Deciphering this, it's the key to finding who killed them."

"This is all you got? Not much to go on."

"You think you could help out?"

"I'll ask around." Not soon after two Community Support Officers came around the corner. "Oi!" A hand grabs me and we run. Leaving John...

We ran all the way back to Baker Street, Sherlock not once considering to let go of my hand. Not like I'm complaining... It felt nice. I guess. "But we left John, god I fell kinda bad."

"John can handle it." We started to make collages, pages and pages printed of the internet based on language systems and archaic symbols. Egyptian hieroglyphics, the Greek alphabet; Hebrew letters; Arabic letters; Chinese words... We were trying to find a match for the so-called yellow squiggles and it was frustrating because nothing in comparison made a match. The squiggles defies interpretation. I ran a frustrated hand through my hair and stormed of to the kitchen. Whilst prepping tea I heard John come in.

"You want to tell your little pal: He's welcome to go and own up anytime..."

"This symbol, I still can't place it. I want you to go to the police station. Ask about the journalist. All his personal effects will be impounded. Get hold of a diary or something that will tell us his movements. Michelle get your coat your coming with me." Grabbing my coat we all left the flat. "Michelle and I are going to see Van Coon's PA. If we can retrace their steps somewhere they're going to coincide." Again, Sherlock locked hands with mine and we ran like mad people to Shad Sanderson's.

Making it to Eddie's desk I saw that there wasn't any personal items laying around, just a few magazines and a book 'London A to Z'. I stared at it. This looks familiar but I can't place it... Not long after a women, presumably his PA came through and went to do what Sherlock instructed. "Flew back from Dalian, Friday. Looks like he had back to back meetings with the sales team." Pressing print on the keyboard she showed Sherlock the statement, completely blanking me out of the equation.