The Sign Of Three- Six

Chapter Six

"Pray silence for the best man." We all took in applause and cheer as Sherlock's rises to his feet at the top table. John and Mary sat by his right whilst Janine took his left. My left eye twinged a little. "Ladies and gentlemen, family and friends... And... Erm... Others." He stops for a moment, blinking.

John closes his eyes in realisation. Mary looks at him and Sherlock jolts out of his blankness. "Right, um..." He pats his pockets, seeming to realise that the telegrams are beside him by the table. John clears his throat. Sherlock does likewise and looks at the guests, swallowing hard. "First things first. Telegrams. Well, they're not actually telegrams. We just call them telegrams. I don't know why. Wedding tradition." He lifts the first card up before sarcastically mumbling: "Because we don't have enough of that already, apparently. 'To Mr and Mrs Watson. So sorry I'm unable to be with you on your special day. Good luck and best wishes, Mike Stamford.'"

I smile briefly whilst Sherlock commences with the next card. "'To John and Mary. All good wishes for your special day. With love and many big... Big squishy cuddles, from Stella and Ted.'" He looks up, blinking rapidly. I could hear Greg snigger on the table. "Mary, lots of love..." Sherlock looked uncomfortable. "Poppet... Oodles of love and heaps of good wishes from CAM." Mary's smile fades as Sherlock continues reading. "Wish your family could have seen this." John looks round and sees Mary's face. He reaches out and takes her hand.

"Um, 'special day'... 'Very special day'... 'Love"... 'Love'... 'Love'; it of a theme, you get the general gist. People are basically fond." Some scattered laughter simmers through the audience. "John Watson." He gestures. "My friend, John Watson. When John first broached the subject of being best man, I was confused."

I smiled fondly at the memory.

Flashback

John trots up the stairs, whilst I sat in the living room and Sherlock was in the kitchen. "Sherlock?"

"What was that noise downstairs?" John waves to me before walking to the kitchen. "Er, it was Mrs Hudson laughing."

"Sounded like she was torturing an owl."

"Yeah. Well, it was laughter."

"Could have been both."

"Busy?" I watched with fascination. "Mind if I interrupt?"

"Er, be my guest." He switches off the blowtorch and puts it down while John walks over and pulls back the chair from the table. Sherlock picks up the mug and offers it to him. "Tea?" Tea with a eyeball in. John declines the offer but sits down. "So. The big question. The best man."

"The best man?"

"What do you think?"

"Billy Kincaid." I lower my head, silently laughing. "Sorry, what?"

"Billy Kincaid, the Camden Garrotter. Best man I ever knew. Vast contributions to charity, never disclosed. Personally managed to save three hospitals from closure and ran the best and safest children's homes in north England. Yes, every now and again there'd be some garrottings, but stacking up the lives saved against the garrottings, on balance I'd say..." John quickly interrupts. "For my wedding! For me. I need a best man."

"Oh, right."

"Maybe not a garrotter."

"Gavin?" Sherlock suggested. "Who?"

"Gavin Lestrade? He's a man, and good at it."

"It's Greg. And he's not my best friend." John turns to look at me. "Oh, Michelle, I see. Well, she's nice, not a man however..." I laugh again. "No, Michelle's great, but she's not my best friend. Look, Sherlock, this is the biggest and most important day of my life." Sherlock dubiously pulls a face. "Well..."