The Blind Banker- Ten

Chapter Ten

"Well. I think maybe I should leave you to it." After an awkward moment Sarah decided to stay which only causing Sherlock more nuisance. "So. This is what you do. You, John and Sherlock?"

"Yes we do." I answered, trying to thin out my irritation. "Sherlock's a Consulting detective."

"What does that mean?"

"It means when the police are out of their depth, which is always they consult Sherlock." She then moved over to Sherlock, driving the poor man mad. "What are these squiggles."

"They're numbers. Written in an ancient Chinese dialect."

"Of course. Yes. Should have known that." Whilst they were talking I brought some nibbles out of my room. "I've done punch. And there's a bowl of nibbles." Mar-Mar responded "I've brought some snacks down too."

"Girls you're saints."

"John, Michelle look. Soo Lin at the museum she started to translate the code for us. We didn't see it... Nine Mill...?"

"Maybe it means million."

"Nine million quid... For what? We need the end of the sentence."

"Where are you going?"

"To the Museum. The Restoration Office, we must have been staring at it."

"What."

"The book, John the book! The key to cracking the cipher! Soo Lin used it to do this. Whilst you and I were running round the galleries she started to translate the code. That book is in her office!" Without another word he ran out the door. "Sorry guys I'll be here still, I'll try my best to shut up."

"No, no it's fine. A quiet night in is really just what the Doctor ordered. I mean, I love going out and wrestling with Chinese gangsters." We all shared a laugh. "Do you want take out?"

"Sure, I'll pay." I said. John gave me a gracious smile whilst taking the menu out the drawer and ordering. Not too soon the bell goes. "Blimey that was fast. I'll just pop down."

"You want me to lay the table?" We share a brief look at the kitchen table filled to the brim of Sherlock's experiments. "Eat of trays?" I asked. "Yep." Whilst getting the trays someone came up from behind me and stuck a napkin of Chloroform in my face...

I wake up, slumped in my chair. John was beside me and Sarah was beside him, both in the same situation as I. Tied down and gagged. Sarah was softly crying. We were illuminated only by a ring of candles and accompanied by the ceiling dripping water lightly.

Three others were present. Two men and a women. A part of the Black Lotus. "A book is like a magic garden, carried in your pocket. Chinese proverb, Mr. Holmes."

"I'm not actually... I'm not Sherlock Holmes."

"Forgive me if I do not take your word for it." She yanks his wallet from his pocket extracting a bank card. "Debit card. Name of S. Holmes."

"Ah. That's not actually mine. He leant that to me..." She rifles around then produces a cheque. "And a cheque for five thousand pounds. Made out in the name of Mr. Sherlock Holmes."

"Michelle gave it me to look after..." She then fetches an envelope with the old ticket subs from the theatre. Sherlock's name was printed on the front. "Tickets. From the theatre. Collected by you. Name of Holmes."

"Yes. OK. I realise how this looks, but honestly, I'm not..."

"We heard it from your own mouth... 'I am Sherlock Holmes and I always work alone'."