The Final Problem- Twenty Three

Chapter Twenty Three

Third POV

In the well, John stares upwards as the water continues to rise and Michelle slowly loses herself to hypothermia.

In the plane, the girl cries out panic-stricken. "We're going to crash! I'm going to die!" She screams.

John grunts with effort, his arms under the water, tugging at the chains around his feet. "Michelle?!" He screams. "Stay awake, keep breathing." Not one of his best moves but John splashes water towards her face. She startles awake. "J-J-John! I don't think I-I-I'm going to... M-Make it." Her teeth chatter. John goes into solider mode: "No, you are! You are! You're going to live. We're going to live! You're going to live your happily ever after!"

Sherlock races through the gateway beside the house, runs round the side to the front and then bursts through the front door, then runs up the stairs. "I think it's time you told me your real name."

"I'm not allowed to tell my name to strangers." Sherlock reaches a closed door on the landing and stops in front of it. "But I'm not a stranger, am I? I'm your brother." Opening the door To the burnt-out bedroom in his family home, he lowers the lantern to the floor and holds out his other hand towards the figure in front of him. "I'm here, Eurus." He reassures.

Still wearing the clothes she wore in Sherrinford, Eurus sits on the floor with her knees drawn up in front of her and her hands wrapped around them. Her eyes are closed. She begins to speak with a child-like voice: "You're playing with me, Sherlock. We're playing the game."

"The game, yes. I get it now." He steps closer to her. "The song was never a set of directions."

"I'm in the plane, and I'm going to crash."Sherlock crouches down in front of her. "And you're going to save me."

"Look how brilliant you are. Your mind has created the perfect metaphor. You're high above us, all alone in the sky, and you understand everything except how to land." He shifts round and sits down in front of her, breathless and anxious. "Now, I'm just an idiot, but I'm on the ground." He reaches out and puts his fingers onto her hands. "I can bring you home."

"No." Her voice reverts to its adult tone. "No, no." She shivers. "It's too late now." Sherlock shifts closer to her. "No it's not. It's not too late. It's never too late." She cries, her eyes screwed tight and her face twisted with fear. "Every time I close my eyes, I'm on the plane. I'm lost, lost in the sky and... No one can hear me." She pulls her knees closer to herself, crying silently. Sherlock reaches out and gently puts his hand onto hers again. "Open your eyes. I'm here."

She opens her eyes and slowly raises her head. "You're not lost any more." He shifts even closer and reaches out to embrace her. She shuffles forward and wraps her arms around him and they hug each other tightly while she cries. "Now, you... You just... You just went the wrong way last time, that's all." His voice becomes tearful. "This time, get it right. Tell me how to save my friend..."

In the well, John groans with the effort of trying to keep his head above the water. Michelle cries softly, saying her last goodbye to the world...

In the bedroom Sherlock pulls back a little. "Eurus..." He cradles his sister's head with one hand and gazes pleadingly into her eyes. "Help me save John Watson and Iris... She's pregnant and I'll be damned if I lose her or anymore of my children again." She stares at him, apparently realising, trembling and tearful as he gently strokes her hair.

In the well, John grimaces and Michelle groans, tilting their chins up out of the water as they strain with the effort of trying to pull the chains free...

Then a light shines down onto the both of them from the top of the well and a rope is thrown down to him. Gasping with relief, he takes hold of it and pulls Michelle closer.