Chapter 17 - Special stat - Sense

Daichi ate thinking about how to awaken his 'sense' stat. Based on how the previous two special stats were awakened he hypothesized that the key to unlocking all of them lies in their names. Right now his focus was on the 'sense' stat.

'Sense. A faculty by which the body perceives an external stimulus. The 5 main faculties of a living body are sight, smell, taste, touch and hearing. This would be the case if this was a normal world but I have to take chakra into account.'

'I was able to awaken the stamina stat when my SP got 0. And my charisma stat by impressing the Hokage. So the key to unlocking this is in the name of the stat.'

Daichi slowly ate his food thinking about this. Suddenly a thought came to his mind. He stopped eating and looked at his food.

'Sense of taste.' He paused eating for a moment. He recalled the pieces of information he read in the human anatomy book he read yesterday.

'The tongue is a muscular organ in our mouth. With thousands of taste buds covering the surface. And taste buds contain taste receptor cells... let's see if I can stimulate these cells and make them more efficient.'

Daichi placed his chopsticks down and concentrated. While this was happening Kensei was watching him closely. He had an idea as to what Daichi was trying to accomplish so he didn't disturb him.

Daichi concentrated and moved a very small portion of his chakra to his mouth. Contrary to popular belief different parts of the tongue are not assigned different tastes. The tongue, upper esophagus, cheeks all have taste receptors. Daichi moved the small portion of his chakra to cover the whole inside of his mouth.

Slowly infusing them into the tissues and then the cells. Daichi was very careful and only slowly completed the process. He didn't want to make any mistakes.

After a few minutes with chakra still coating his mouth, he took a bite of the food. The taste and texture he could feel certainty increased from before but not by much. Then Daichi slowly increased the chakra a bit more and tried again. This time when he took the food he could feel an explosion of taste.

Daichi felt his eyes open wide. He had never tasted anything like this. It was as if a whole new world was opened to him.

It felt like the food he ate before was masking it's true flavors. He could feel every component inside the single bite. The various flavors that went into making it. All of it.

A new notification came alerting him to the new skill he acquired.

[A new skill is created with a specific action.]

[By successfully controlling and concentrating chakra to coat the inside of your mouth and improving your sense of taste , the skill 'Superior Tasting' has been created.]

Superior Tasting - Active(LV. 1): A skill obtained through concentrating chakra through the taste receptor cells of your mouth. At a higher level this skill can detect hidden 'tasteless' poisons as well as rare delicate flavors.

Effects: +10% increase in Taste

CP cost : 7/sec.

"Incredible." 'I was a bit of a foodie in my previous life. Now with this skill I'll be able to enjoy the delicious flavors of this world on a much greater scale than I thought.'

At this moment his grandfather's voice woke him from his daydreaming.

"I take it you've learned how to infuse chakra to increase your sense of taste?" Even though Kensei asked, he knew the answer.