Chapter 97 - The Art of Genjutsu

Hi guys. Fair warning. Bit of an info dump chapter. This is my take on Genjutsu. It may be right, it may be wrong or maybe it's something in the middle...

—----------------------------

Daichi was fighting his clones in the forest while being blindfolded. He relied on his other senses and wanted to improve them. He wanted to evolve his sense skills as quickly as he could. But Daichi's clones were just as capable as he was. So the battle lasted for some time before he was able to successfully defeat and dispel his clones. After meditating and recovering his strength he opened his skill list. Daichi's eyes went to the skills related to the 6 senses.

'They're almost at level 50. Maybe another two or three battle sessions like this and they'll be ready to evolve.'

Daichi closed the skill list and headed home. During the battle he received a notification that indicated that reputation had increased with Hiruzen Sarutobi. Daichi was confused and not sure why that notification would show up at this time. 'Well, as long as it's not a 'reputation decreases' notification I don't mind.'

There was also something else he wanted to ask his grandfather.

Before long he reached his home. He noticed Kensei on the porch and he seems to be immersed in deep thoughts.

"Hey old man. You seem like you have something important on your mind."

Daichi's voice snapped Kensei out of his thoughts. He smiled and replied. "It's nothing you need to worry about."

Daichi looked at Kensei for a second and then nodded. Daichi at that time smelled the faint scents of tobacco lingering in the air. He also smelled the heavy scent of sake. He knew Kensei didn't smoke.

"Was someone here?" Daichi asked.

Kensei looked at the kid and sighed. 'His senses are getting sharper and sharper. I was planning on keeping Hiruzen's visit to myself for now but...'

"Yes Daichi. I had an unexpected visitor this morning. But it's nothing you need to concern yourself with. I'll tell you when the time comes."

Daichi was slightly confused but then nodded and let it go. He had something more important on his mind. "Hey gramps. I'm thinking about working on my taijutsu and genjutsu and then some medical ninjutsu this year. What do you think?"

Kensei thought about the question. The warning Hiruzen had given him about Orochimaru's spy was prevalent in his mind. "Focus on your taijutsu and genjutsu and sharpen the skills you already possess. Learning too many things without mastery of anything won't help you."

Daichi nodded and agreed with that assessment. "Can you tell me about Genjutsu? I want to focus and improve my awareness on it as well."

Kensei smiled. He motioned for Daichi to come and sit near him. "So you're finally interested huh. The art of Genjutsu. This will take a while to fully explain."

Daichi focused and paid attention to every word Kensei was going to say.

"Genjutsu or the Art of Illusions is the third and least common of the basic combat specialties for a shinobi. Now Taijutsu and Ninjutsu both apply damage or alterations to the physical world while Genjutsu mainly targets the mind."

Daichi was confused. "But during our fight you changed the terrain... How is that..."

Kensei chucked. "What I did falls under Genjutsu but let me remind you, I did not alter the terrain with genjutsu. I merely placed an illusion on the hole on the ground I created with Ninjutsu... I'll explain... As I said, Genjutsu can not affect non living or environmental things and physically alter them. Now, genjutsu is the most versatile of the three, but it is also the most difficult to use effectively. Our mind, our imagination, it's limitless. So are the possibilities of genjutsu. It depends on the user. Whether it's a simple distraction, or traumatizing someone or an outright powerful attack on the psyche of a person, a capable genjutsu user can accomplish it all."