Part 41: World's Best Papa

Zoey narrates.

I'm pregnant! Again!

I can't stop smiling to myself as I sit in bed looking through photos of Aaron and Zara on my phone, laughing at all of their cute moments together. I look at photos from when she was born and when we'd first bought her home...and I can't believe I get to do it all over again!

'Zo, she's awake again.' Ana says, tiredly carrying my laughing baby into my bedroom.

'Come here, baby.' I say, as Ana hands her to me and lays down on my bed, closing her eyes.

'You're gonna be a big sister, Zara!' I say to her, cuddling her to my chest and kissing her head.

'Have you told Aaron yet?' Ana asks, her eyes still closed.

'No...I don't know how to tell him.' I reply.

'What do you mean?' She asks.

'Like...he literally just left. He's going to feel so bad if I tell him I'm pregnant and he's going to want to come straight home.' I say.

'I don't want him to miss out on this part of his career.' I add.

'Yeah, but he's going to be upset that you kept this from him too. I think you should tell him.' She replies.

'Maybe you're right...' I say, thinking.

'Zara, can you stop pulling aunty Ana's hair?!' Ana says, frustratedly, as I laugh, and continue cherishing these moments with my daughter, but inside wishing Aaron was here too.

_____

A few days pass, and after confirming the results of the test with my doctor, I decide to finally tell Aaron the news.

I wanted to make it special, so I'd sent him a gift, and told him not to open it until our facetime call this evening.

'Hey, Zoey. Hi, Zara! I miss you, baby!' Aaron says from across the screen, as I get Zara to wave.

'Oh man...I'm missing you both so much.' He says.

'We miss you too. How's it all going?' I ask, putting Zara next to me on the couch to play.

'It's good. The client is really nice. I think this could be really big for the company.' He replies, as I nod.

'I'm glad to hear.' I say, smiling. Even over a screen he looks so freaking cute.

'Okay, I really want to open this box now, Zoey.' He says, holding it up.

'Oh, right! Okay, you can open it, but I want you to read the little note first.' I say.

He opens it up and reads it aloud.

'For so long, I wondered if I'd ever have my perfect family, the perfect husband and perfect kids. Then you came along and changed my life. Then we had our baby girl, and she's the best thing to ever happen to us. Now, I hope this will be the second best thing.' He says, looking at me confused, as I smile nervously.

He opens the box and sees a little newborn shirt that says 'World's Best Papa', followed by a picture of my first baby scan and the positive pregnancy test, all tied with a ribbon.

'Zoey....' He says, quietly, looking at everything in disbelief.

'I'm pregnant! We're having another baby!' I say, softly, awaiting his reaction.

To my surprise, he puts his head in his hands and goes silent.

'Aaron? What's wrong?' I ask, but he doesn't reply.

'Are you not happy?' I ask, nervously.

'Are you kidding me, Zoey? This is the best news ever!' He says, looking up, as I breathe a sigh of relief.

'Oh, thank god.' I say.

'Wow...we're having another baby.' He says, still shocked, looking at everything, and wiping a small tear from his eye.

'When did you find out?' He asks.

'A few days ago. I wanted to tell you sooner, honestly, I did. But you'd just left and then I was worried about how you'd react and then....' I say, as he interrupts me.

'Zoey, stop. It's okay. I'm glad you've told me now.' He says, smiling.

We stare at each other intently, over the screen, as my eyes water.

Our eye lock is broken by Zara who tries to touch the screen with her hands.

'Zara, baby. Come back so papa can see you.' I say, moving her away, laughing through my happy tears.

'This is going to be great, Zoey. Our family is growing.' Aaron says, as I nod.

'I just wish you were here.' I whisper, not knowing he heard.

'Me too.' He replies.

_____