Moments of Vision

You were going to battle once more. At camp, deep in the woods, you could heard Halfdan's singing echoing throughout the trees. Harald had joined in and now both brothers were singing. Everyone on both sides could hear it as if it were coming from Valhalla and the gods were singing it.

You looked up at a nearby branch and smiled at the sight of a raven sitting there, watching you closely.

"Hello, Odin."

The bird cawed before it flew off causing you to chuckle. Odin was here to watch the mighty battle.

-

You marched through the woods, moving to battle. Soon enough, you stood on the battlefield, red paint surrounding your eyes.

You laughed at the number difference between your forces and the forces of Lagertha. You all now had the advantage.

Looking to Ivar, your lover grabbed your hand and brought it to his lips, placing a kiss on your knuckles. "After this is all over and I am crowned king, I swear to you, my love, that I will make you my Queen."

You smiled and chose not to reply with words but with a long kiss. "I love you."

"I love you to, darling." Ivar said

Lagertha raised her sword before she swung down and the battle begun...

Archers from her side shot their arrows at Bjorn's command, the arrows falling from the sky. Everyone raised their shields.

You grinned at this for you knew that this day would be one you would never forget.

-

By now, you don't know how many men you've killed as you drowned another. You let out a loud scream of pain, anger and frustration as the battle raged on.

Without an axe, you knew that you would either end up dead or with many injuries as you grabbed your sword and rushed back into battle, remembering previous events.

-

"Do you have any regrets, Hvitserk?" You ask as you two sat, preparing for battle.

"I have no regrets. Except, I haven't any children."

You were surprised as you looked to him with a raised eyebrow, causing your friend to chuckle.

"But then again, Astrid, you and me are in the same boat, hm?" Hvitserk asked

"Nonsense, Hvitserk." You laughed. "One day, I will have children, if the gods will it. And my children will populate the earth." You said causing Hvitserk to laugh again.

"Yeah, sure." He chuckled

You chuckled yourself as you looked to Ivar. "Do you think Ivar would want a child with me?" You ask

"Are you kidding?" Hvitserk asked. "Of course he would! All I've been hearing from him recently is, 'Oh, after this is over, I'm going to marry Astrid and we're going to have many sons.'" Hvitserk said, making his voice deeper to sound like Ivar as you laughed before Hvitserk fell serious.

"Ivar's a lucky man to have someone like you at his side." Hvitserk huffed. "Sometimes, I wish it were me in his place. Perhaps that is why I jumped ship. To stay with you."

"Hvitty..." you said, sitting up and facing him in shock

"It's alright, Astrid. I understand. You two are happy and that is all I want for either of you." Hvitserk smiled as he stood. "I've had you before. That is enough for me. Our friendship is much to important to be ruined by my love for you."