The Key

It only took a matter of days to arrive at Lagertha's village with your warriors. You smiled when you saw the woman walking out of her home and got off your horse, moving toward her.

"Thank the gods. You're here." Lagertha smiled, hugging you tightly. "But why?" She asks as you pull away

"I had a dream, Lagertha. And in my dream, your village was attacked. So, for the safety of you, Hali, Asa, and the other villagers, I wanted to be here. I was so afraid that something had happened." You sigh

"Hali... he's dead, Astrid." Lagertha frowned

Your eyes went wide. Bjorn's son, Lagertha's grandson, Ubbe's adopted son and Torvi's son. Dead. Yrsa and Hali were the best of friends. How could you tell her that her best friend was dead?

You let out a heavy and shaky sigh at the news, rubbing your Aunt's arm to comfort her.

"It was my fault." Lagertha said. "I did not protect him. I failed. He's buried not far from a village that he was trying to protect... with all the others who also died in the raid."

"So it's true?" You ask

"Your dream? Yes. We were attacked by bandits. The same bandits that you had branded and released." Lagertha sighed

"So it is my fault." You frowned

"No." Lagertha said

"No, I did. Doing that was a mistake. I should never have released them." You said

"Don't talk of mistakes. We all make mistakes, sometimes for bad reasons and sometimes for good reasons. In any case, it is not important anymore. What's important is that I am certain, since they did not steal our grain, that they will attack again soon." Lagertha said.

"Then it is a good thing we are here." You say. "We have to make plans."

"Even with the help of you and your shield maidens, I'm not sure we can resist White Hair and his bandits, not a second time." Lagertha said

"Those are not words that I ever expected to hear from Lagertha, the famous shield maiden." You frowned

"Perhaps that Lagertha is already dead. I buried her myself. Then I had to dig her up again. But she is not the same. She can never be the same." Lagertha said before walking off

With a sigh, you turned and saw your shield maidens laughing as they swam in the water, causing you to sigh again.

-

Now, you helped rebuild the village's defences, lifting a gate to help Lagertha carry it over. At first, the people of the village were scared but after seeing that you were no longer the woman you once were, they welcomed you with open arms.

It was quite adorable, seeing the children running around you.

"They won't expect this." You said, huffing a chuckle as a girl walked by, making a bird call.

"No. But who knows if it will be enough?" Lagertha grunted, helping you lift the gate and tie it in place. "Have you gotten any news from Bjorn?" Lagertha asks

"I know he will return." You said without hesitation

"Yes. He will." Lagertha agreed

"Look." You smiled. Little Asa lay in a pile of hay, asleep.

Lagertha smiled as well, handing the rope over to you before she went to wake her granddaughter while you went to get another fence.

With your thoughts plagued with ghosts, you had no idea that Bjorn was planning betraying you to become King of All Norway, making a deal with King Olaf and King Harald.

-

"It has been a while, Lagertha. Perhaps they are not coming back after all." You sigh, watching the finished and protected village

"I hope you're right." Lagertha said

"But you don't believe it?" You ask

"No." She said. "I think they will come."

At this you sighed, glancing back at the upgraded walls with a frown.

-

A messenger had arrived at the village with so called urgent news.

"Go on." You say

"We were travelling alone the Silk Road. We had gone many rosy and talked to many traders from different countries, when we came to the Kingdom of Rus." The man said.

"I have heard of it. It was founded by Rus Vikings." You note

"Yes. Some of them could still speak our language. We were invited into one of their principal towns, called Novgorod. It is a rich place, for these Rus are very successful warriors, hunters and traders. And they were anxious to do deals with us, for they said that we have many things which they wanted." The man said

"But I don't understand." Lagertha spoke from beside you. "If you were so successful, then why did you come back so early? Surely your mission is not yet concluded."

"No. But we all felt that someone should return at once."

"To report your success?" You ask

"No, Queen Astrid. To report something else. For while we were in Novgorod, we learned that someone else was staying with the Rus. Indeed, living at the palace in another town called Kiev with their leader, Prince Oleg."

"Ivar..." you grin in excitement

"Yes, my Queen. They told us that King Ivar the Boneless, son of Ragnar Lothbrok, was their guest."

"You have done well to bring me this news." You smile, standing to look down at the fire. "I am not surprised to hear that my husband is still alive. Go, feast and drink. You have earned it."

"Thank you, Queen Astrid." The trader said before he left.

Ivar wasn't to far. He would return soon. You could feel it in your bones.

-

Sitting by the water, you smirked when you heard him. "I'M HERE, MY SWEET!"

The water shook at the loud sound of the gods voice causing you to laugh as you kneeled on the sand, seeing the large snake swim through the water toward you.

It had a human torso but the bottom half was one of a snake. The entire thing was covered in scales, its head having spikes as it that were its hair. The eyes were as yellow as the sun as it hissed and hissed, laughing evilly.

You knew it was Ivar.

This time, you weren't scared as Ivar's new figure laughed darkly, now sitting in front of you, the scales dripping with the cold water.

He hissed at you but you only smiled once again.

Reaching out, you rested your hand on the human-snake creature's cheek.

"Hello, Ivar. Welcome home..."

-

Little did you know that while you were dreaming of your husband, the Jarls, Kings, Queens and every other leader of Norway were gathering at King Harald's previous Kingdom and voting on who was to be the next leader of all Norway.

Bjorn currently had the most votes and he knew that if he won, he would have to usurp you for you would never hand Kattegat over to him.

No, no. He would have to either kill you or capture you.